1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D V6 Upgrade... And new questions

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by gstercken, Jun 27, 2014.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

With practice and tweaking you will get even better out of it. Good luck.

2. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Mark Anthony
    What type of wire ends did you end up going with and where can I get them. I'm having the same problem you are, going from a Hexagon Hot end to a E3D V6 hot end and wanting to use the existing wiring. My connectors look like the ones you show in post reply #71. Also did you use the existing wire for the heater or did you run new wire. The heater wire on the E3D looks a little thicker than the wire used with the hexagon hot end.

#82 Robert Choban, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014
  3. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

I was just being EXTRA cautious....never really wired Too many things let alone a 3d printer....don't get frustrated just always tell yourself it's a machine it can be fixed....just use any wire connectors but the ones I used were too big...remember to not splice your heater cord too long or you will have an issue with tucking the wires in after install....any wire connectors will work...home depot....harbor freight tools. I tend to over think things being a perfectionist....sorry for the late reply.

4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Why don't you just put in the ones I mentioned above: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-5-NE...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58aa7ac944. Free shipping and you can get them pretty quickly.

My printer's cable wrap may be different than yours but mine is a solid tube with a split along it. I was able to pull out some length of wire, put in the bullet connector and then put the connectors back inside the cable wrap. If you have too much wire you probably also can pull it through a bit from the other side.

5. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

cuz since ive had my printers ive been upgrading and tweaking them and it was sunday so i just got some locally. But i really do like those ones you have and will order some because they would help out alot

6. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

Has anyone printed ninja flex? I bave a spool im dieing to use.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is a thread on this under the printing filament section

8. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

Thanks Mark

9. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Steve I ordered the connectors you mentioned above for the E3D hot end wiring. I will use the cable that that comes with the E3D hot end and route it through the cable management tubing back to the Ramps card. I'm doing this because the E3D wire is slightly larger than the Hexagon wire and the E3D is 40W and the Hexagon is 30W. Does this sound right.

I now have one other small problem, the small fan for the Hexagon Hot end broke, I have a new fan and I'm going to splice and solder the new wire
    coming off the fan to the existing wire. That way I don't have to rerun the new wire back to the Ramps card. The wire for the fan is really thin, any suggestion on soldering really thin wire. I plan on using heat shrink to cover the solder joint.

10. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

If it is not too difficult to thread the E3D wire through the cable wrap and if it is long enough that is what I would do.

I don't have too much advice on soldering the thin fan wire. Use a clean well tinned iron tip. Make sure you put the heat shrink tubing on first ;) and well enough away so it does not shrink from the iron heat. Face the wires toward each other and twist them together then solder.

2 people like this.
  11. supinemonkey

supinemonkey New Member

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

#92 Mike Kelly, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
  13. Zen

Zen Member

14. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member