1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Editing a STL file

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by rabu, Sep 16, 2015.

1. rabu

rabu New Member

Dear friends ,

I am using ROBO 3D printer from the last month , now I want to print a customized business card for this reason I need a software which can edit the STL file ,(generate text , create stencil image from a 2D picture) .

Please tell me about my farther step ?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Are you sure what you want to do is edit an STL file? There is software that can do it, but it has to be one of the most tedious tasks to ever try to accomplish. You are much better working with the actual source files. If its a picture and you can save as an SVG file, many 3d modeling applications can import that format. You can then manipulate it as a solid shape rather than a bunch of triangles that only describe the outer surface.

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

It's really not that hard to edit an stl file, especially if you're just embellishing detail. @Harry posted some info on using (I believe) tinkercad in the thread about printing Robbie the Robot for CES. Blender can do it, but does have a learning curve. There are customizers on thingiverse that might suit your needs. OPENSCAD works for booleaning shapes as well. Meshmixer is another option. I'm sure there are many more.

rabu and Harry like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is actually an understatement of the effort :)