1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Entering your Z-Offset in MatterControl

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Montravont, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

MatterControl defaults to MatterSlicer as the slicer engine the first time you run it. Unfortunately, Slic3r is the only engine that offers the Z-Offset option.

You have 2 choices, you can change the slicing engine to Slic3r and then the Z-Offset option will be available as shown here (Reference numbers 3 and 9):

[​IMG]

OR

You can reference the following image (Section 6 set to printer, section 8 Set to G-Code) and change your Start G-Code (Section 9) to the following:

G28 ; home all axes
    G29 ; auto level bed (you should add this in either case)
    G1 Z#.# ; Raise nozzle for offset value (replace the #.# with your offset value)
    G92 Z0 ; set new Z home
    G Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle

[​IMG]

If you go with option 2 and change the G-Code, the offset will carry to whichever slicing engine you use. If you stay with the first option and enter it in the Z-Offset value you will be stuck using the Slic3r engine.

2. Tom Stone

Tom Stone New Member

(In the image, it says ";G29" with the semi colon *first*, and with no "auto level bed" afterwards. Looks odd, but if that is correct then fine. )

I've just installed the software, and have not come as far as actually printing anything. Instead I'm getting a bit confused and hesitant here. In my case, there is already a "G29" but in a different location in "Start G-code", and it is followed by a whole different directive ("Probe Bed" ).

This is what it says in "Start G-code" in my installation:
    Should I delete all that, and replace it with the following?
    I'm hesitant to continue before getting this right...

3. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

No, in your instance (as will be the case with some of the newer releases of MatterControl) it already has the G29 code in there on purpose. Your current code is fine. If you want to use the code method for your Z offset amend your code to match what is below.

G28; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000; lift nozzle
    109 S{temperature}; set the extruder temp
    G29; probe bed
    G1 Z1.0 ; Raise nozzle for offset value (Be sure to actually test that your Z-Offset is accurate)
    G92 Z0 ; set new Z home

2 people like this.
  4. Tom Stone

Tom Stone New Member

Wonderful! And thank you!
    Two questions.
    1: I've already entered z-offset in the Z-offset field in the "Slic3r" section. Will there be a conflict if it is entered here as well?
    2: Can I find instructions anywhere of what it entails to "test that your Z-Offset is accurate"?

5. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

It won't "conflict" per-say, but it will cause your prints to start well above the bed as it will use both offsets. It is an either or method. As Slic3r is the only engine that allows a Z-Offset via a field, the code method allows and offset to be used regardless of the engine you choose.

However, if you won't be switching to an engine other than Slic3r, you're fine continuing to use the Z-Offset field and NOT modifying your G-Code.

As for calculating your offset, I'm not sure if we currently have a thread for that. I will amend this thread to include that information when I get home. For now, you might be able to catch Mike or another experienced user in the shoutbox to guide you through the process.

4 people like this.
  6. Tom Stone

Tom Stone New Member

I am very grateful for your kind assistance!
    There is just one final thing I am curious about, seeing that the included instructions differs a bit from the actual reality.

In an attached note, it says that when choosing the model of printer when setting up MatterControl, I *must* choose "R1"...
    ...But in the included instruction video, there is no mention of this alternative, only that I should choose between "PLA heated bed" and "ABS".
    I did chose "R1", since it was put in bold letters. That was the correct choice?

7. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

how does one determine the offset value, and can you copy and paste exactly what you have in section 9, so I know how it is suppose to look like.

8. Tom Stone

Tom Stone New Member

For me, the offset value was handwritten on a note taped to the glass bed when I opened the package.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

10. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

(Mike, I just copied text from your post to save time. Just went through this.)
    Calibration:

With the firmware installed it's time to determine the Z offset between when the nozzle touches the bed and when the switches activate.
    1. Begin by homing all axis, ensuring the Z homes in the center of the bed.
    2. Using MC or Repetier raise the nozzle up .1mm at a time until you're able to slide a piece of paper underneath it, counting how many steps it took.

Once you can barely fit the paper under, remove the paper and lower the nozzle by .1mm. This is your Z offset

Personal note: Using paper in a world of .1MM tolerances sucks. I'm now looking for a less variable alternative. With the Robo autolevel, it doesn't quite matter but with my Rostock, it does.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

12. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

I've got some. My wife used to be a jet mechanic.

13. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

Last question: Hot end heated up to PLA or ABS temp or not? For my Rostock and for my home-built Kossel, I go hot.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I run it hot but it's not a bad idea to do a retract before your run G29

15. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

So what about when your R1 homes to the front left corner... Mine has never homed to the center of the bed

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The autolevel configuration forces the print to home in the center. So if you're running an auto-level firmware it'll home centered.

17. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Mine is autolevel and is running the latest auto-level firmware and has Never homed to the center of the bed.. even from the first day I received it. It always goes to the front left corner when you press the "home" button in matter control.

But when you start a print, it always goes to the center of the bed before beginning the print.

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Matter Control is weird. It sends this G28 X0 Y0, G28 Z0

Which is why it does that, if it sends G28 it'll home to the bed center.

19. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

alright, so I just need to manually type G28 in the console window to get it to home to the center.. that's allot easier than letting it home to the corner and manually hitting the jog buttons to get it to the center...

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It should... MatterControl does some weird overrides. I don't fully understand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.