1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Entering your Z-Offset in MatterControl

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Montravont, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

The more i use matter control and get familiar with it, the more i do not like it.. I'll probably upgrade to simplify3D with the bowden conversion..

2. JayT

JayT Member

I've been feeling the same way... I want to like MC; I like the looks of the software and the way things are organized work good, but it does some things that I just can't make sense of.
    It's really too bad repetier had to do what they did... I like to stick with "official" software in most cases (having that Robo3D logo on MC is cool lol), but in this case I'm not sure...

3. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

JayT,
    I purchased simplify3d a few weeks ago and couldnt be happier. Everything about MC that i didnt like or it wasnt consistent about (autobed level for one, it would randomly choose not to do it) simplify 3D doesnt do. Prints are nicer, faster and just easy. It was well worth the $$$

4. JayT

JayT Member

Funny you mentioned it, I was just browsing the Simplify3d forums when I seen your post.
    I'd love to try it out, but $140 is more than I can afford on something without a trial so I can check it out first....
    It certainly looks good though, and I've seen some great comments on using it with the Robo3d (although you need to do a bit of fiddling to get the autolevel working from what I can see).

5. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Ya know, all i had to do was transfer my startup gcode from MC and change the offset from a - to a + and the autolevel has been working flawlessly.
    I to didnt want to spend the money without a trial, but it was very worth it, i dont regret it one bit.

6. JayT

JayT Member

I appreciate the suggestion, but $140 is a lot of money to some of us, especially after spending nearly 1k on a printer and a few necessary bits.
    As well, I've read quite a few comments that state that while the software is good (and features what is probably the fastest slicing anybody has seen), it is not worth the price tag.
    Perhaps in the future.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Was worth the money for me just for one feature. Supports that worked.
    Everything else was icing. Given how much was already invested in the printer (and by now I have spent more on filament) it was worth it to get good prints (and supports) every time. I have had a couple of weird issues with models that a support ticket sorted out for me in less than a day both times.

8. JayT

JayT Member

Awesome, hearing more people weigh in on it definitely makes it a serious consideration for the future; but again, we aren't necessarily in the same financial position where $140 on a piece of software they can not try is a doable thing at the moment.

A few of the purchases I have made in the last few months:
    Robo3D
    GTX 780 Classy video card
    Emotiv Epoc neuroheadset replacement parts (these guys are ridiculously and unnecessarily expensive)
    Oculus Rift DK2
    Exercise equipment (treadmill, exercise bike; 2nd hand).

As I said previously, as much as I'd like to make another purchase at the moment, it just can't be done quite yet.
    I do however look forwards to a month or two down the road when I can justify the price.

I've had a chance to look at a few more of the features of simplify3d and I have to admit it looks pretty darn good!

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nobody can speak for anothers finances :)
    When you can afford it, I expect that it will add value to the printer investment.

10. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Yea i can understand not having the cash to buy it, i was in the same predicament, but just recently i just said screw it and bought it... It has already printed parts out that MC never could decently. The support system in S3D is definitely worth the money alone, its awesome just being able to peel the part away and be done.

2 people like this.
  11. JayT

JayT Member

The more I deal with MC and Repetier (mostly the former) the more I am leaning towards another solution. At the rate things are going I might have to make an exception and move things around a bit so I can try to sweet-talk my Wife into the simplify 3d purchase.

Does simplify 3d print from sd card and save out .gcode without much hassle? I designed some fan shrouds for a PC case mod I did and I've been trying to save out a .gcode for the last 2 hours from MC but I keep getting stuck at the "saving intermediate file" message.... ><

Edit: Oh, it's finally ready lol. That only took some 20 minutes. :p

12. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

FYI, for me saving to an SD card from Repetier takes a second.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Look at attached. SDCARD.jpg
    I think you can work out the 'SD CARD Mechanics' :)
    It is 4 buttons (Complicated--right!)

P.S. The longest slice I have ever done with Simpify* took seconds to export.

*(I actually had one complicated enough that it took like 2 minutes to slice. With Repetier I managed 3 hours--once)

#33 mark tomlinson, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
  14. JayT

JayT Member

Ok, I couldn't hold off any longer and I had to buy in.
    This software is amazing.
    A 15 second slice in repetier takes less than 2 seconds in S3D; and I got the nicest print I have had so far on this somewhat tricky .stl right off the hop, printing at a much higher speed! I didn't even change anything in S3D other than the startup gcode to do the autolevel routine (and my printer settings to reflect the obvious; proper bed dimensions, baud rate, etc.)!
    The visualization is the nicest I have seen, the software is very easy to use and I didn't quite believe it when I heard it, but I am getting far better prints than I ever did before.
    Absolutely freaking amazed.

Thanks for the tip guys, I am one happy camper!

On a side note: I added some led strip lighting to my Robo with a dimmer and on off switch today.
    I can't wait to show this off to some friends. :)

2 people like this.
  15. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Not to say we told you so... but

We told you so!

Lol

2 people like this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Does what it says on the tin.

17. JayT

JayT Member

Ok, so everything was going really well, but after nearly 8 hours printing a somewhat large fan shroud for a PC case mod I designed, and this morning I decided that given it was printing from SD it would be fine to shutdown the software.
    Boy was I wrong...
    So to my chagrin, about half a minute after exiting S3D the print stopped. I'm not sure why, but the same thing happened before using MC and Repetier with the SD card print option, but I guess I assumed with S3D things would be different and I took a risk I should have took on a smaller print LOL.

Anyhow, do you guys know where S3D keeps its log files? I'm not sure if they will do any good given that I was printing from SD but seeing as how the print stopped when I quit the software perhaps there was some connection there I wasn't aware of and I can find where the printer stopped and resume where I left off.

Should that not be the case and there are no logs to be had either at all or given my certain circumstances, the print is not entirely a write off as it is perfectly acceptable with this particular design for me to cut the object at an approximation of where I was and print the top half seperately; it would just mean I wasted a bunch of plastic on supports I didn't need.

Sure wish I could figure out how to untether my printing jobs from my PC....

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ping their support folks: http://www.simplify3d.com/contact-support/

I have really done little with the SD card (more like playing with it is all) since I have a computer pretty much dedicated to it. When I did use the card I still had simplify attached for monitoring the print in progress.

They can tell you how to log what happened. By default it does not do much of that that I can tell, but I did have to turn on some logging once before if memory serves. There may be a setting of some sort that tells it to abort a print when you disconnect (or maybe it was not really reading the GCode from the card).

19. JayT

JayT Member

Ok, well I would like to get this print started again asap so I will just cut the rest of the print and continue. If there isn't an already existent log somewhere (I've checked progfiles, progdata, appdata,docs, etc.) I think I'm sol for a resume so I'll have to chalk this one up to a learning experience and see what else I can do.
    Thanks for the help though. :)

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I will experiment with the SD card a little and see if I can figure something out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.