1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Entering your Z-Offset in MatterControl

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Montravont, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

OK, I can confirm that upload to the card works. Printing from the card works (it prompts for which file to print). Pause/Resume works. However disconnecting seems to kill it (regardless of how you disconnect).

I will ping them myself, because now I am curious. I saw in their forum some MakerBot issues around this as well and in that case it was printer firmware related...

2. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Interesting, i never tried any of that. I guess this makes up another good reason to get an lcd display

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, the upload is nice in that it avoid GCode transmission issues, but it doesn't help for disconnected printing as it sits. I am going to see what they have to say. It may well be that whatever controller starts it has to stay connected (seems odd, but I have not looked at the firmware).

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Pondering it, I think that is the secret sauce. There has to be a controller. The LCD controller (obviously) is one and any software connecting to the Arduino can be one, but the RAMPS and Arduino alone may not be sufficient. I'll chase it down -- it has me interested now that @JayT has raised the question.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, I think I have it sorted. Bear with me, I am not going to give you a @Ziggy level deciphering of WHY this works, but it does :)

So, open the machine control panel in simplify and connect DO NOT DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN CONNECT.
    Now tell it to print from SD card, it prompts you for the file and tell it go. The printer will now heat up and start printing.
    You can disconnect the USB cable and walk away.

Why this works *I think* is because before I was preparing the printer by heating the nozzle and heatbed (like I normally do) then starting the print. When I disconnect the USB cable at that point then Simplify is still in control of that portion of it. Which causes the print to stop when Simplify is disconnected.

When ALL I do is to have simplify3d connect and initiate the SD card print, it works like you would expect...

Try that @JayT (P.S. The LIKE button is over there ;) ------>)

#45 mark tomlinson, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. I can now confirm this works since it finished the 15 minute or so print after I disconnected it right at the start.

2 people like this.
  7. JayT

JayT Member

Great to hear it Mark, I would imagine that is the same problem with the other software as well (MC, Repetier) if the whole deal is firmware based.
    I'm just running a few experiments with my hair glue to see how that works for adhesion and I will try this out.

Next investment for the Robo is definitely going to be an LCD.

8. JayT

JayT Member

Would you guys mind sharing your S3D settings? I seem to be having some trouble with under-extrusion when printing without a raft that I can't seem to figure out by fiddling around.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure, how?
    They don't have a config file, but if you have questions about any specific settings I'll dig 'em out.

#49 mark tomlinson, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

My son pointed out that the only non-stock setting we are using is 110% extrusion rate.

11. JayT

JayT Member

Ah ok, I'll give that a try then. The print from SD method you told me worked great; I am 6 hours in on a 7 hour print (the other half of the shroud) with it as we speak; and as usual, s3d is giving me excellent results. :)
    I'll post pics of the finished product tomorrow.

12. JayT

JayT Member

Where did you put the extrusion rate to 110%? Afaict I only have the option in the Machine Control Panel and I'm not sure if that would transfer over during the slice?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We set it in the machine control panel. The extrusion rate % there is live. I have bumped it around between 100-110, I suspect this is a feature of having upgraded the hobbed bolt (at least to some degree). You can set it under the Process->look for the Extruder tab (then look for extrusion multiplier) and that affects the slice if you prefer to do it that way.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

FYI: I opened a support issue with S3D when you posted the question about the SD card (in case I couldn't figure it out) they answered me this morning with pretty much the instructions. They are quick.
    My only gripe (nit-picky) is that when I did it correctly and unplugged the USB, while the printer marched merrily along, S3D hung up. Could have just been a fluke. I won't often be doing that anyway.

15. JayT

JayT Member

Hmm, yeah I haven't had that issue. So long as I just start the print from sd and unplug as you said, everything continues along nicely. I can close down S3D without issue.
    However, I cannot reconnect and do anything with the print once it is active from SD. Now THAT would be a handy feature!

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, go open an enhancement with them :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.