1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruded problems & y axis over movement

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mbisjr23, May 15, 2015.

1. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

ok, so here is my consistently inconsistent problems. I have two problems that seem to just happen randomly. I use simplify 3d and matter control on my MacBook Pro and it's a r1 with 8mm auto level. First problem, when i begin to print and the auto level runs, when it gets to the last 3 points the belt grinds like it thinks the table is bigger than it is. Second, when I am in jog controls and hit extrude, it has no problems extruding as much filament as I want but as soon as a print starts, filament grinds and nothing extrudes. I have noticed the extruder is going much slower when printing than when I manually extrude, don't know if that makes a difference. It looks like the z axis keeps goin too low and clogs the hot end. Sometimes it starts grinding into the adhesive on the bed. I have had my printer since February and for the first couple months had no problems. This started happening out of the blue and not all the time but getting more frequent. I have been told to change settings, increase z offset, take apart hot end to clear clogs, flash my firmware, try the paper trick. I have done all this and no luck, same things keep happening. Has anyone had these issues and fixed them?

2. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

Oh yea, also checked the y axis belt, all buts bolts and screws and z axis limit switches are not slipping or too low

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make your Z offset higher. More negative = further from bed

4. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

Did that, I had a Skype session with robo3d. They told me z offset should be set between -.8 to -1. I am at -1.8 and still the same. I don't understand how it could be offsets because I printed a ton for first 2 months with factory settings with no problem. Now for past month I can't print a thing

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

How are you setting the Z offset. Screenshot?

6. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

Attached Files:

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I believe those are correct, but to be certain you can make all of that part of your startup gcode.

G28 ; home all axes
    G29 ; auto level bed (you should add this in either case)
    G1 Z#.# ; Raise nozzle for offset value (replace the #.# with your offset value)
    G92 Z0 ; set new Z home
    G Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle

8. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

Ok, I'll give the code a shot. Any ideas why my bed overtravels?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The bed can't actually over travel (hence the noise you hear).
    It can be attempting to if the bed size is wrong in the software you are using or if there is something blocking it from making it to the end stop OR if the end stop is disconnected or broken.

Ultimately the arduino drives it until the end stop shows that it made it. Once that happens it stops trying to move any farther.

10. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

What are your bed settings?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yours is probably right (or close) make sure that the belt is not binding. That is the usual suspect.

Here is my setting:

BuildArea.jpg

12. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

Had a super busy weekend so didn't get to mess with my printer till just now. Finally figured out the y axis problem. One of the wires under the bed would slip out of the clamp and stop the bed from full travel and I would get the belt grinding. Put a piece of take temporarily on the clamp to keep the wires in. I'll come up with a better fix after I get the z axis issues worked out.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

Don't know why this thread was marked solve, partially solved. So I played around with z axis settings and same result every time. I just cannot get it to print. I hit extrude in jog controls and no problems pushing abs. Hit print it will not extrude at all. I've tried my settings from -.9 to -2 with no success. So frustrated, I feel like I just keep throughing money at this thing.

14. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

This might sound a little crazy, but try changing the infill %. When I used to use mattercontrol for some models it would hangup and not print because the infill layout did not match the print well.

After you click print and the printer goes through the autolevel do the gears on the extruder turn at all?

15. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

I've tried multiple prints. Models, calibration tests, different quality, different infill, all with same results. I even use both matter control and simplify 3d. Gears are spinning when it starts printing. Sometimes the filament gets jumbled up on the outside of the nozzle, sometimes it gets jammed up and grinds the filament till it can't extrude. To me it seems like it's all because the nozzle is too close to bed but every attempt to change z offset produces same result

16. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

What is your autolevel procedure like? Does the nozzle make contact with the bed in all 9 locations?

17. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

Yup, it auto levels well. Even in simplify3d using the auto bed leveler it works.

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

How large of a Z offset have you tried?

19. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

Anywhere from -.9 to -2

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Try like -5 as a sanity check.