1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Extruder moving on 'X' axis only

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jdo, Jun 8, 2017.

1. jdo

jdo New Member

So received the R2 last Friday, got it set up & calibrated had a successful test print followed by a failure due to filament locking issue on spool. After fixing the issue second print also failed to due same filament issue deeper in spool. However when I discovered the issue the extruder had begun printing along the 'X' axis only.

Changed out the filament, reset home and tried a third print. Extruder printed full 'X' axis but only about 1/2" in the 'Y' axis so yet another failure. Canceled the print and attempted another - bed leveling did not go into the 'Y' axis check points, it checked he same point 4 times along the x-axis only.

Have not been able to find any info to help on the matter. So while I was hoping for a better out of box experience over the C2 yet another disappointment.

Any thoughts on how to resolve would be greatly appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Can you manually move it in the Y axis with the manual controls in OctoPrint or is that stuck too?
    It is either a mechanical issue preventing Y travel or a logical one (i.e. endstops screwed up or something).
    Can you manually move it X and Y with the power off?

3. jdo

jdo New Member

Yes with the power off the extruder can be manually moved without issue.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Then something in the electronics is not correct.
    You will need to contact Robo support since it is under warranty and see which path they want to take.
    Frankly the only real approach is to replace the machine as it is not easily user serviceable.

Geof likes this.
  5. jdo

jdo New Member

My memory was incorrect but problem was still the same only it travels on the 'y' axis not the 'x'. I was really hoping it would be a simple one.... hahaha. Thank you for the assist.

6. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Hi jdo -

I would try this:

See if you can move the motors via the touch screen so we get the computer out of the equation.

From the LCD home screen hit Motor Control. Click the upper left button until it shows 10mm.

Note: The following two steps don’t require the printer to be homed.

Click Y+ & Y- and verify the extruder moves. (You indicated Y movement is OK)

Click X+ & X-. Do you hear the motor turn?

If so, you probably have a loose pulley on the stepper motor or the shafts, preventing the belt from moving.

If the motor makes no sound then click Home, then click Z- several times to raise the bed far enough up so you can remove the black panel covering the electronics bay. Because X is not working you may need to power down and gently move the extruder into the home position (left-rear position). Power up, click Home again, raise the bed via the Motor Controls, and remove the panel.

With the power off, check that your stepper motor cables are seated onto the main board. They are the white connectors labeled Z, Y & X along the front and right side of the board. Each connector has 4 wires coming off the top: blue, red, green & black. Each of those motor cables has another connector at the opposite end that plug into the corresponding stepper motor. On each of the two top-rear stepper motors, push in the connector to verify it is seated.

If the printer still does not work then do as Mark suggested and contact Robo.

7. jdo

jdo New Member

Y axis moves with motor controls. X axis does not move - i can hear the motor and see the belt moving yet extruder does not.

8. Ed Ferguson

Looks like a mechanical issue.

X is controlled by the right-rear stepper motor. It has a pulley & vertical belt to transfer motion to the rear horizontal belt which goes from left to right. That belt transfers motion to the two shafts on the left & right which run from the rear to the front. Those shafts transfer motion to the front belt running left to right. So ... an X move will move 3 belts and turn two long shafts (not counting the motor shaft).

Are those 3 belts tight?

Does the motor seem to turn smoothly without chattering? If so, I doubt anything is binding.

You should be able to find where something is loose or broken. My guess is a loose pulley, or a belt has jumped off a pulley.

Also, just for fun, inspect the X limit micro-switch to see if it looks broken. But if the X motor is turning, the carriage should of course move.

#8 Ed Ferguson, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  9. jdo

jdo New Member

Thanks Ed, testing a new print - for now i seem to have resolution. Thanks for the insight. I am quite new to the Robo family and still learning the ropes.

10. Ed Ferguson

Glad to hear. What did you find?