1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Extruder switched off. Temperature fell too much during print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Peter Krska, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Can't finish a job lately, getting this error.

Send: M105 T0
    Recv: ok T:192.3 /190.0 B:27.8 /0.0 T0:192.3 /190.0 @:0 B@:0
    Send: N3G21*57
    Send: N4G90*52
    Recv: ok
    Send: N5M82*60
    Send: N6M107*3
    Send: N7G28 X0 Y0*53
    Send: N8G28 Z0*113
    Recv: Error:Extruder switched off. Temperature fell too much during print!
    Changing monitoring state from 'Printing' to 'Error: Extruder switched off. Temperature ...'
    Recv: Error:printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature

is reset. Set it after restarting)

What can be the problem?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

This "Temperature fell too much check" has been added to the Auto_Level_6_10 version. Looks to me like someone at Robo has added the "feature".

New parameters added in configuration.h

//Check for thermistor temerature freefall during the print,
    //This usually indicates that the thermistor has been removed from the head.
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_DISCONNECT_CHECK 1
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_DISCONNECT_LIMIT 10

and some new code in "temperature.cpp"

#ifdef TEMP_SENSOR_DISCONNECT_CHECK
    if(current_temperature[e] > hot_temperature[e])
    hot_temperature[e] = current_temperature[e];
    if(hot_temperature[e] > target_temperature[e])
    hot_temperature[e] = target_temperature[e];
    if(hot_temperature[e] - current_temperature[e] > TEMP_SENSOR_DISCONNECT_LIMIT) {
    disable_heater();
    SERIAL_ERROR_START;
    SERIAL_ERRORLNPGM("Extruder switched off. Temperature fell too much during print!");
    LCD_ALERTMESSAGEPGM("Err: TEMP FALL ERROR");
    #ifndef BOGUS_TEMPERATURE_FAILSAFE_OVERRIDE
    Stop();
    #endif
    hot_temperature[e]=0;
    }
    #endif

Strange that Robo did not tell anyone this check was added. :rolleyes:

Should be able to disable it by commenting out

//#define TEMP_SENSOR_DISCONNECT_CHECK 1

or increasing the TEMP_SENSOR_DISCONNECT_LIMIT

BUT check first you don't really have a problem with the thermisitor

3. Peter Krska

I found this article, -

http://wiki.solidoodle.com/correcting-an-m999-error

Thermistor Issues (Max Temps / M999)
    The Solidoodle has a variety of methods to protect the printer from overheating. The printer must a consistent and realistic temperature in order to function, and will go into emergency shut-off mode in the case of dangerous looking values.
    If your printer steps working suddenly, and reads
    stopped due to errors, press m999 to restart
    You may be having thermistor issues. The message is telling that the Solidoodle has been put into emergency stop mode, and that by entering m999 into the g-code console the printer can be restarted. Often in these cases the printer will read 0 c - indicating that temperatures are not being read correctly. Alternatively, the printer may be reading a massively high temperature. In either case, the printer will be rendered inoperative until the problem is resolved.
    Most commonly the issue is due to an open circuit somewhere in the signal path of the thermistor itself, all the way to the connection to the motherboard. The thermistor is located on the Hot End and it's connector is labeled "ET (Extruder Thermistor)"
    Keep in mind, there are two sets of connectors to the extruder thermistor. One on the Hot end and one that connects directly to the motherboard. There could be intermittent connectivity due to a breaking wire. This may not be visible due to breakage underneath the wire insulation. Another source of failure would be where the wires come into contact with the connectors. Sometimes they may come loose from the connector and you will have to push them further into the connector. You can do this with two kinds of tools
    A T-handle or
    A Wire Crimper
    However, the wires can often be pushed in with a simple bobby pin, or desktop pen. In certain cases the connectors can simply be plugged and unplugged to get the desired effect. The best results can be found by doing thorough investigation with a multimeter - looking for loss of connectivity at each wire juncture.
    The thermistor itself is very rarely damaged, and the problem is nearly always the wiring.
    If you are unable to get rid of the M999 Error, please contact support:
    support [at} solidoodle [dot} com
    =====================
    Seems that others have the same issue using different printers.

4. Peter Krska

Found this and it looks as though my thermister is broken or not working.
    Note Re: the MINTEMP message. Unless you are outdoors in the winter it should not get this message so long as the thermistor is reading anything at all. When the thermistor works normally you should never get readings below room temperature (about 20C or 70F) even without any warming from the hotend.. The firmware assumes if the reading is below 5C that the thermistor readout is broken. Usually because it is reading ZERO due to the thermistor connection being not there at all. In pronterface you can see if the reading is room temp or zero even when you are not heating the extruder and you should only get the MINTEMP message if the temp is less than 5C.
    This happened to me because a wire had broke but it might only mean you missed plugging it in or it could mean some thing a lot more serious I supose.

Is this the thermister in the hot end that needs to be replaced?

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes to both. It could be flakey or intermittent (when it fails it usually fails open or shorted--both of which are rapid extremes for the indicated temperature). I bought some spares when I upgraded the hotend (just, you know, 'in case').
    @Printed Solid now has the ones that thread in which would be a lot better...

6. Peter Krska

I am not getting any lights on my ramps board. I am able to connect and a light comes on (green) then goes off.

I am able to home the printer but not able to move up or down, left or right.

7. Peter Krska

Found that when the thermister is faulty on the extruder head, the print stops. If I move the wires around the extruder I am able to get it to print again but only after restarting the printer. I found that the problem is when the extruder homes, the wires are hitting the 5/16 rod and I get over time have broken the wires to the thermister connection. Seems intermittent.

My heated be also has an issue with the wire harness, rocking back and forth has also broke the connection to the bed.

It was printing so well, but after 6 months of printing every day. I guess somethings gotta give.

Any idea of how long it would take for a bed replacement?

For the thermister issue, if I was to get the one Mark suggested, is it a matter of commenting out the configuration.h file and then recompliling?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, it really is that simple for the firmware change. Just make sure you only have one definition for thermistor zero and you are good.

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1 <--- just one of these defined with the correct #

@Printed Solid will know the thermistor type he sells and you can match that to the type code that needs to be there.

9. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Same as stock. No firmware change reqd

2 people like this.
  10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Stock, hexagons, use an Epcos sensor.

E3D uses a semitec.

11. Peter Krska

Sent an email to support. They suggested replacing the thermostat and also my kapton heated bed. They gave a price and how to purchase it through paypal.

I sent the money, however, it's been 2 weeks and no reply. Numerous emails back have not responded.

What is the problem? Anyone know Jerry? Can anyone direct this email to him? He was the one that responded last stating he would send 2 thermistors and the bed heater once I sent my payment.

I would really like to get back to normal here since I am having issues. It been over a month since I reported the problem to Robo support. Regarding #1151

Help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck with that.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Jerry is on vacation in germany.

There's another person working support, lemme see if I can get in touch

14. Peter Krska

Thanks Mike, I appreciate any help I can get. I already paid for the items and now I cannot get any response.

So far nada. It's like they are not there.

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Coby didn't give me contact for the other support. We're dead in the water.

16. Peter Krska

I have been going back and forth with tech support and so far I have not been sent the replacement parts. No confirmation and I can't seem to get an answer from anyone lately.

Jerry was suppose to handle the issue. We agreed in the parts necessary to be replaced. He then went on vacation. When he came back, the email sounded like he was again trying to tell me what he thought was wrong but did not say he was sending out anything.

I already sent him the money that he asked for numerous emails before. Now when I ask what is happening, I don't get a reply.

What seems to be the problem there at Robo3d? Anyone close enough to Jerry? Can you have him please respond and confirm whether my order has been sent?

It's now going on past a month since I reported the problem and was told that I need a replacement of parts.

17. Peter Krska

What's up with tech support. Numerous emails and no response. I already sent them my money for the replacement parts and now they can't even respond back whether they sent the parts or not.

Jerry first was handling it, he suggested the parts needed for replacement. I sent the money and suddenly he is away on vacation, when he came back, he sounded like he did not understand what my issue was and was starting from scratch instead of sending the parts he suggested replacing in the first place.

If I already sent the money, how can I get them to respond? Does the better business bureau do anything to help in situations like these. They have my money but fail to respond or ship anything.

It not like I burnt my Robo3D printer. I thought I've been a good promoter of the printer. Why all of a sudden the mute responses?

I would like to get back to normal with a working heated bed and an extruder that doesn't turn off intermittently.

Ugh

It's been since Sept 14, 2014 that I initiated the email.

#17 Peter Krska, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can certainly take this up with the BBB (the one in CA).

As far as getting the printer working, buying the replacement parts yourself might be the quickest way forward.

19. Peter Krska

I already sent them the money via PayPal.

What I believed is going on, is that Jerry went on vacation. Then he came back, and went back on vacation.

It's a long weekend in Canada, is it a long weekend In the US too?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, for banks and government it is a holiday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.