1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Fail log

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Day Vid, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Day Vid

Day Vid New Member

Hey,

I've had a few prints fail while I wasn't around and there is never any error message on the display. Is there somewhere print log somewhere, or a way to figure out why the print failed?

2. jscottb

jscottb Member

Define failed?

The logs are stored at: ~/.octoprint/logs/ You can ssh (i.e. putty) to the RPI on the printer and log in as the pi user.

3. Day Vid

Day Vid New Member

By failed I mean the print didn't finish. The bed returned to the bottom as if it did. The print is usually bad when this happens (i.e. layers not fusing). Then I'll try it again with all of the same settings and the second print will be ok. I'm just curious what causes the printer to terminate.

4. jscottb

jscottb Member

I have had the RPI have issues one time that I can remember on the R2. It rebooted or power cycled during a print. I have also had this happen on another printer (non-Robo) that I have an RPI and octoprint on. The Pi just rebooted. I never looked at why since it was not a regular occurrence.

What slicer are you using? Could it be bad gcode? I have had bad gcode before, but none I can remember on the Robo.

5. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Most of the time failures are nothing the printer can know about. Enable timelapse and look at that.
    From your explanation most likely you had some filament feed issue that casued the printer to print everything as normal until the end but just nothing was coming out anymore so some of the part is missing.

Day Vid likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Those are both excellent ideas. If you can't find a printer error returned in the octoPrint console then the timelapse will at least give you some idea what happened.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You don't need to SSH to see the logs. Just go to the web interface (OctoPrint) then in the settings there is a selection for Logs. If the Print History plugin is loaded then there will be a log called plugin_printhistory_console.log which should provide some information although extremely limited. The OctoPrint logs only tell you what OctoPrint is doing, not what your print is doing.

Day Vid likes this.
  8. Day Vid

Day Vid New Member

Cura for robo