1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Failure or unacceptable print rate %

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chris Rodriguez, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Chris Rodriguez

Chris Rodriguez New Member

Just curious from others what their failure or unacceptable print rate is. Example how many prints fail out of 10 or how many have to be reprinted due to not turning out good(unacceptable finish, to weak, etc). Just looking for ball park figure from folks. I print almost exclusively from SD, my failure rate was much higher before that.

I would say my failure rate is about 2 out of 10, my unacceptable finish rate is about 2-3 out of 10.

Breakdown of failures
    1. machine physical issue, z ribbing, belt slipped, etc.
    2. Not right slicer settings
    3. Bad model, quite a few bad designs on thingiverse from model to thin to won't work with any free slicer.
    4. Just didn't work, wrong size, didn't fit, etc.

Also anything that someone did to make their percentage better is always appreciated. I have to admit seasoning my extruder help a lot for me. Also I think slicing in Cure helped quite a bit too, not just curaslice in mattercontrol.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do you mean number of prints that complete and aren't of good quality? Or do you mean number of prints started vs finish?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I recently did a huge run -- hundreds of copies of the same STL. Fairly complex.
    Out of that we had a 5% overall failure rate.
    Some of that was just the printer falling down (or the software driving the print) and some was filament related failures.

Those printers ran for a few weeks non-stop. I was OK with that.

4. Chris Rodriguez

Mike,
    Well really both that you mentioned. I broke mine down by different causes and issues. Just trying to get a feel from others with the Robo what their failure rates are for whatever reason.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The overall rate was 5%. I didn't keep records of which ones failed because I was an idiot, which ones were filament related or which ones were the printer. There were no model issues (this was essentially the same model for all)

6. Chris Rodriguez

Oh wow, that sounds like you have your dialed in pretty well then. I would love to have mine around that level.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Even if we make the 'failed due to idiot operator' percentage low... :) It was at worst a 5% failure from the printer.
    Those types of failures were things that I couldn't explain, for example the first layer would just start off completely whack.
    It had to be an autolevel issue, but it appeared to autolevel fine. If I killed the print and restarted it would be fine.

Those types of failures I blamed the printer. Screwing up the settings (temperature, slicer, etc.) were all me. Filament jams and the like were also included.

8. Chris Rodriguez

Mark,
    Great info. Gives me at least the hope that a Robo3d can print very constantly. I know on mine even if I exclude the operator error ones my failure rate is much higher. I guess I have some more tuning to do.

But this is the kind of info I was looking for. Curious if your results are above average or not. Sounds like from all your posts you really have your working well.

I do have another smaller 4"x4" custom 3d printer that uses ball screws and THK linear slides that is pretty rock solid and I use for more small precision stuff like gears. About the only failures I get on that one are operator failures. Would like to get my Robo to that level since it has a larger working envelope.

Thanks,
    Chris

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

My failure rate is higher than 5%, probably low double digit. But I am pushing bigger prints and suffering from the dreaded "Why in the world did Robo only choose to heat 67% of the build area!"

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is a valid point. The last large batch I did was not one that needed a heated bed, although I did use it (panacea R' US).
    Those types of filaments do seem to fail a bit more often, but I blame that on the printer design :)

11. Chris Rodriguez

Oh wow, I haven't seen that one yet. Yeah that would be a big issue. Good tip.
    Thanks

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Robo build area is approximately 10 inches square, heated area is approximately 8.2 inches square. (100 sq in vs. 67 sq in).