1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Filament grinding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jason Hough, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Jason Hough

Jason Hough New Member

I know this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find much consensus on what worked for people or which solution is best.

My latest print failed because the filament stopped extruding due to it being ground down to almost nothing inside the extruder.

My first question is, how do I know how tight to make the bolts that hold the catch in place? I feel like every time I have to remove them to clear a jam, putting them back on is so fiddly and arbitrary. Is there a reliable way to get the right tension each time? And is too much tension what is causing the grinding to occur?

And secondly, is it absolutely imperative that I print/install an oiler, as some other threads I read suggest? I'm trying to print with woodfill PLA currently, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any tips.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have always (forever) run mine all the way in as tight as they will go.
    Has this ever itself caused a problem? Nope.
    That grinding of the filament by the hobb has only ever been a symptom of a clog (or a PLA micro-clog) in my experience*.

Woodfill and other similar PLA based custom filaments (like laywood, bamboo, the steel, concrete and magnetic iron filaments) often suggest a slightly larger then default nozzle size for "best results" (i.e a 0.5 or larger nozzle) and to avoid clogs. I have not had extreme issues with clogs on any of those with 0.4 nozzles (but then again I universally use an oiler too).

*there was once case of a bad hobbed bolt, but that was on the original R1 and Robo has since replaced that style entirely. @Geof might have some thoughts since he has a larger selection of machine types. I use the oiler on our delta too.

#2 mark tomlinson, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

season the hotend. I removed the oilers because when people tour they kept asking what that thingy is lol. Annoying to answer the 10cent oiler I made that hangs out above an expensive machine lol. Dip the filament in some canola oil and run through the extruder at temp. This will coat it. I do this once or twice a spool or when I change spools. I use it on all materials but it only helps with PLA (but come on...if it doesn't hurt just get in the habit right! :D)

I run mine as tight as they can go and occasionally shim the spring for tension to the assembly if I think its a problem. From what your describing its not a issue of to little tension, sounds more like the first thing.

This is on 12 different brands and to many different models...YMMV still :D

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.