1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Final layer not printing? [Solved]

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by gravityisweak, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gravityisweak

gravityisweak Member

My printer is running great, except for one problem. The top layer that covers the fill is not completing properly. My prints are ending up like this.

20141020_173052.jpg 20141020_173107.jpg

What's odd is that the top layer is not being printed on the surface of the whistle, but also the top layer of the keyring attachment. Which is way down near the bottom. This is the file that came with the robo3d so I'm pretty sure there isn't anything wrong with it. You can see the R on the top layer of the whistle printed fine.

What could be causing this issue? Should I try different software? Currently I'm using Matter Control with MatterSlice as my slicer.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What do you have the # of top/bottom layers set to? In Slic3r this would be the top/bottom shells (default is 3 -- if memory serves) try increasing this number (sorry--not sure how you do that in MC, but check the slicer options).

3. gravityisweak

gravityisweak Member

Its on the default setting of 3 top 3 bottom. The bottom is fine. But now that you mention that, I wonder... I printed this on high quality thickness of 0.1mm Is it possible that when printing higher quality I would need more layers because they are thinner?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes...
    In all fairness though I still would have expected it to be a bit better than that.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

With cooling fan running?
    Try 5 layers

2 people like this.
  6. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

I've seen the same issue on mine I set it to 10 as an overkill. Likely less would work. So I tried 5 and it was way better.

7. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

I do 5-6 for .2mm and more for .1 Also bear in mind that a few more layers may be required for long bridging or low infill settings.

8. gravityisweak

gravityisweak Member

Excellent, thanks guys. I'm glad it might be a simple fix. I'll give it a shot.

9. gravityisweak

gravityisweak Member

Success! I changed it to 7 layers based on everyones combined advice and it came out great! Thank you for the help. Is there a way to edit the title of the post to add [solved] in case anyone else is looking for this?

2 people like this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.