1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered First layer uneven. Help!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by hippy1970, Jul 24, 2017.

1. hippy1970

hippy1970 Member

Thanks for the link and photo. I decided to try printing something else. Same result of course. It looks like I'm over extruding because the layer height appears to be so high the nozzle is marking the first layer when traveling. See attached photo.
    [​IMG]

That's still on the first layer.
    I'll check the extruder calibration again but not tonight. I've had enough for one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is over-extrusion almost certainly.

3. Robert55

Robert55 Member

Just took delivery of a Creality CR-10, which, overall, I'm quite impressed with. This guy has a pretty unique view on bed leveling, which actually worked quite well for me, until I can enable UBL in their version of Marlin. The video is rather long, but he shows his technique and explains it well. It might come in handy here as it's not specific to one printer. He also does a short explanation of exactly what you should expect out of the first layer. not just from the leveling point of view. :

#23 Robert55, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  4. hippy1970

hippy1970 Member

Thanks. I'll take a look later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It is a simple procedure but all he does in that video is even up the corners, if your bed is warped then this may or may not get you close. You can't use his method for warped beds since the R1 uses a single glass build plate. That is why auto-level exists (technically auto-tramming*). with the R1 you can accomplish the same procedure shown in the video even though the R1 does not have screws to adjust. You can do this by using little pits of paper, such as those that end up all over the place when you use a paper punch. Place as many discs as necessary to get all the corners at the same level. Then enabling auto-level actually works fairly well.

*Tramming is a borrowed term from CNC Mills (http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMillTramming.html) It is the process of precisely adjust the axes so that they are in a perfect relationship to the cutter regardless where along the axes it is.

Geof and Robert55 like this.