1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved First layer Wavy

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Toro1966, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Geof - I'll post pictures in a bit but it is getting much better. The combination of slower speed and lower temp is working. Still not perfect yet, but I'll get there.

Question for your egarding S3D and supports. I am trying to print this with supports http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1315733

It should have supports under the 12 that i can pop out when it's done. I enable supports in the FFF, but it does not seem to want to print them. If I try and print in MC, it will print the supports, but not in S3D. What am I doing wrong? I assume I have a setting somewhere messed up. Thanks!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Im not in a position at the moment to download and import the file but will. You can manually add supports or lower your overhang angle in support section and see if it puts it there

3. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Geof. I tried every setting I could think of and changing the overhang adds supports to the outside of the model, but not inside the 12 where they should be. Thoughts?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id suggest just adding them in manually :) im guessing you do have supports enabled for everywhere not just off the build plate ?

5. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Not sure how to add them manually - New to S3D :)

There is not option for supports everywhere. Is either says automatic or from the build plate. I have tried it on both.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Go to tools then customize support structure

Automatic is everywhere :) sorry bout that

7. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Geof - Ok - I think I know why it's not generating any supports - but that has me even more confused. I opened the file in MC and it shows supports generated under the 12 as I thought. When I open it in Cura, however, it shows it is solid underneath - which works fine too. Why is it that when I open it in S3D, I get neither and the result is that it tries to bridge it and comes out terrible. Any ideas?

Also - is there anyway to switch to layer view in S3D without generating preview?

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Without loading the file.and having a look id just be guessing but try running it through netfabb and see if there is an error with the file. If different slicers are seeing it different id guess theres something funny there

9. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Will do - thanks!

10. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

That did it! Fixed it and now it is layering and printing fine! Thanks as always Geof! One more question for you - when I am losing detail - ie - overlapping and closing sections that should be open/empty, what is the general cause for that? Speed? Z offset? Thanks!

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Got a picture?

12. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

[​IMG]

See how there are multiple holes by design. There is actually supposed to be another smaller hole a little higher up. But when it did the outline of the hole on layer 1, it seemed to overlap and fill it in. Wondering if the z offset is still off?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk