1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved First print - infill not touching perimeter

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nate Lowrie, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Nate Lowrie

Nate Lowrie New Member

It's definitely hitting the back endstop on the Y-Axis when doing the ABL probing. Might have to take off the bed tonight and look at the axis.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Ok so you do a G28 to home all axis prior to G29 to probe for ABL correct?

3. Nate Lowrie

Nate Lowrie New Member

Yes. I'll do a manual home when I start the printer. Then, when I start a print, the printer does a home, then starts the ABL procedure. The start position of the first probe point is (X15,Y20) and clearly moves to the first point in the right position.

4. danzca6

These are not final release yet and I caution using it unless you are sure you want to move forward. You can always revert back, but just want you to know these aren't final releases.

The latest ABL firmware in the long 1.1.0 thread is here http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...st-rc7-for-r1-r1-plus.5806/page-38#post-90140

The latest MESH firmware (if you don't have an LCD this gets more difficult to implement) is here http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...st-rc7-for-r1-r1-plus.5806/page-38#post-90142

#24 danzca6, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    Nate Lowrie likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There may be a wire bundle or cable getting in the way of the bed travel. It happens...lift the bed and manually move the rails to see.

Nate Lowrie and danzca6 like this.
  6. danzca6

That's an end gcode script thing. I don't remember all that is in my end gcode. I will post that tonight when I get home.

Nate Lowrie likes this.
  7. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Nate - The issue with small gaps where the center area meets the inside of the perimeter walls is one I had recently. In Matter Control I increased Infill Overlap to 0.08mm to connect better with inner wall surfaces. Decreased Top Solid Infill speed to 40mm/s. Decreased Outside Perimeter speed to 40mm/s. I'm using PLA but these settings are worth trying.

danzca6 likes this.
  8. Nate Lowrie

Nate Lowrie New Member

I installed Marlin 1.1.0 tonight from the link in dance6's post. I used the ABL enabled version, though I see where I can enable the mesh leveling at a later point. There are a couple of clear differences I want to point out for documentation sake:

config1.png

config2.png

Note, in all pics the Marlin 1.1.0 is on the left and the right is the "Leadscrew Upgrade Firmware". In the top 2 pics, notice that the max positions and back probe bed position are less on the Marlin 1.1.0 than the stock firmware. This alone fixed the issue with my bed hitting the stop on home.

Config4.png

The extruder steps defaulted to 800. The stock firmware is 723.38. When I ran my extruder calibration, I discovered I needed to set it 738.08 to ensure it extruded 100mm (+/- 0.05mm). So, I assume if you are flashing a new firmware version you are probably going to run a calibration procedure. Otherwise that 800 could get you into trouble.

Last note in regards to the Marlin install: You will need to install the U8Glib library on the Ardunio software to get it to work. Download the latest release as a zip file from https://github.com/olikraus/U8glib_Arduino and add it to your libraries.

I also set the Z-Offset down to 0.4 in the configuration. So far it's been working perfectly. Here's a calibration cube I printed. The infills are great and functioning as designed. The cube is also spot on dimension wise. I measured 20.00 x 20.02 x 10.04mm which I am ecstatic about.

IMG_7554.JPG

IMG_7557.JPG

IMG_7559.JPG

I think we can call this problem solved...

mark tomlinson and Rigmarol like this.
  9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Nate, so far yours is the only real time report that 800 e-steps isn't closer to reality. If you haven't tweaked any slicer profiles to account for under-extruding, such as extrusion multipliers and the like, 800 steps seem to be close to being able to extrude 100 mm of unimpeded (meaning no nozzle and no heat) filament. It is good that you took the time to figure out what works with your printer, settings wise. I say that all the time, do not take my settings in Marlin 1.1.0 as gospel but what will at least get you in the ballpark as a starting point to do your own calibrations.

The bed size was so over-exaggerated by Robo that is one of the first thing I adjusted. but even my dimensions may be off a mm or two. You will also note that everywhere the configuration differs from the standard Marlin provided configuration there is the exact same beginning of an appended comment. If you search the document for //--ROBO-BH you will find them all. It is a shame that Robo themselves did not do this consistently throughout all their iterations of Marlin 1.0.0.

Rigmarol likes this.
  10. Nate Lowrie

Nate Lowrie New Member

I did the extruder calibration test at 800 steps and it overextruded by 8.6mm. I used matter control and just selected 100mm increment and hit the manual extrude. I didn't change the extrusion multiplier. The number in the original firmware that the Robo came with was 723.68. I could see 800 being a decent number if the hobbled gear is worn or spring tension isn't set correct.

My main goal was to document the discrepancy in the standard Robo firmware numbers with your numbers for future reference by someone. I think your numbers are

On another note, how do you remove filament line from the printer? When I did the calibration test, I preheated the hotend to temp, then retracted the filament manually for as far as it would go. Then I pulled back on the spring clamp but the filament wouldn't budge. I tried pulling pretty firmly. I ended up cutting it, marking it, and then refeeding it.