1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First Tweaks R1+

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Braxston Perry, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Braxston Perry

Braxston Perry New Member

I recently bought a Robo 3D R1+. I will be using it for a startup business so I need to build the most durable and user friendly 3D printer possible. The printer will be used to print numbers and sport teams stencils. I want to add the 7” Raspberry Pi LCD (in the near future) so that the printer will have a large user friendly touchscreen interface. Adding the raspberry pi camera seem kind of cool as well, but I’m fresh to the 3D printing game so I don’t have any good ideas of where to mount the camera. Essential, I would like to modify this printer to be user friendly, reliable, and efficient.

What are some of the first modification I should have in mind for printing precise stencils or just 3D printing for a business in general? Is mounting a 7” LCD screen possible? And if so, can I run raspberry pi 3 and make my printer wireless?
    Please! Please let me know if anyone can answer my questions in detail or if anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There are plenty of threads on here and lots of information on how to get Octopi running on your R1 or any USB driven 3D printer. There is also AstroPrint that does basically the same things. Google searches for both will reveal a plethora of information on how to set them up.

The Raspberry Pi can handle a lot of chores and drive nearly any size screen you want, including up to 4K resolution (at low refresh rates). Again there is tons of information at http://raspberrypi.org

https://octopi.octoprint.org/
    https://www.astroprint.com/

#2 WheresWaldo, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What he said :)

The only real upgrade that is a must-have in my opinion is the Raspberry Pi and OctoPrint, well, maybe a LCD controller ... but OctoPrint via WiFi handles most everything.

FrankArmor and Braxston Perry like this.
  4. Braxston Perry

Braxston Perry New Member

Thanks for the information fellas. I’ll get those upgrades started and if I have any questions I’ll refer to the forum. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Exudos194

Exudos194 New Member

I also just recently bought an R1+, my first mods I'm planning are alternative top loading spool holder, Full Graphics LCD Controller and mount, Waldo's Marlin, and Octopi with camera. Hopefully on a Pi zero w.

Braxston Perry likes this.
  6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Exudos194 Why a rPi Zero? They cost almost as much as an rPi 3 and the 3 is more powerful and has more features.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Stateside they do, a good bit cheaper across the pond. However given the specs I am 100% behind saying use the Pi 3 for this type of application.

Braxston Perry likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yes I should have clarified, outside of the UK they are quite a bit more expensive.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Which has annoyed the bejeebus out of me may I add? :)

10. Exudos194

Exudos194 New Member

I can get the Rpi Zero for $10 and the Rpi 3 for $30. But the Rpi 3 does seem to be better option

11. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

The Pi0 will be dead slow and frustrating, especially if you add the camera (Pi3 already isn't great).