1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First Wood Filament Print

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Mtnbike03, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Mtnbike03

Mtnbike03 New Member

I've had my R1+ for a couple weeks now and have been printing a fair amount with it. This is my first successful wood filament print using Hatchbox 1.75mm filament.

70C Bed Temp
    195C Extruder Temp
    0.6mm Nozzle w/ 0.2mm Layer Height

BMW KEYCHAIN_Edited.jpg

Rigmarol, mark tomlinson and jonnyb44 like this.
  2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Did you put a stain or anything on that?

3. Mtnbike03

Mtnbike03 New Member

Yeah, I used what I think was some cherry stain I had left over from something else.

4. danzca6

Hmmm...I might have to give that a go. Always wanted to try wood filled filaments. Did you use the standard .4 mm nozzle or did you bump it up a bit?

5. Mtnbike03

Mtnbike03 New Member

I used a .6mm nozzle nickel plated nozzle I got off Amazon. I also have a .8mm one I haven't tried yet.

6. fredm

fredm Member

I didnt realize you had to change nozzles to use the wood filament.

My printer is scheduled to be delivered with wood filament tommortow.

Maybe robo 3d should have included a larger nozzel with that package.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You can print wood filaments with a .4 nozzle...it does have a tendancy to jam if everything isnt perfect. The larger nozzles help a ton.

Fill materials are typically abrasive and i do suggest you look into a hardened nozzle if your going to run fill regularly. An e3d nozzle works on the hexagon :)

Rigmarol and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. Mtnbike03

Mtnbike03 New Member

9. fredm

fredm Member

thanks for that link.
    since the printer is coming with wood filament, I guess I should get that nozzle.
    it just screws in< nothing else I should be a ware of?

btw, I like how that round raised section in the key ring appears like wood grain.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Nothing unique to that nozzle. Like all nozzle changes it should be done, hot (so BE careful)

Rigmarol likes this.
  11. Mtnbike03

Mtnbike03 New Member

No problem. Yes, it just screws in. To install it I prefer taking the extruder out. To do that there's a screw on the side you'll have to loosen for the assembly to come out. There are then to set screws to loosen to remove the heater cartridge and thermocouple. You may have to adjust the height of the tube that the filament enters through. To do that remove it, install the nozzle, and then reinstall the tube. The extruder head is just uncoated aluminum, so be sure not to over-tighten any of the hardware.

A bit of advice when you get your printer, check that it's level and make sure the contact switches on both of the lead screws are positioned correctly. Mine was not level when I got it and one of the contact switches was loose. You'll save yourself some frustration and get better prints by doing this before firing it up.

12. Mtnbike03

Mtnbike03 New Member

The nozzle doesn't really need to be hot to change it either. I've never had an issue removing one without it being heated. If you have a clog it can be necessary to heat it up to remove it though.

13. danzca6

With a virgin hot end, you might be ok taking the nozzle off without heat, but don't force it if it feels too tight. You will want to do the final snug with it hot for reassembly. Don't want the expansion of the components to cause it to be loose. That is when you ooze all over the place. Nobody wants that. While you are waiting for the printer and part, do some searching. There are guides for how to do it. Like Mark said, be safe dealing with hot things and make sure you don't apply too much unsupported torque. Hate to see you bend or break anything as well.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  14. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I messed up the wires to the thermister trying to take my nozzle off cold. Be careful.
    I've done it hot since and it's much easier for me.
    Two small adjustable wrenches this the job nicely.