1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Getting there, need yoda's help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chris McKernan, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris McKernan

Chris McKernan New Member

In all fairness I haven't really put alot of time into the printer, and at the beginning I couldn't get anything to work. Since then I've only stopped using vinyl on bed, stopped using bed heated, re-adjusted the Z height (tried auto level wasn't working for me) and started using green masking tape.

I'm beginning to get reliable / consistent results with some exceptions... if some helpful Robo3D yoda, 'help he will':) , it would be appreciated.

Biggest issues I'm having:

(1) Green Painters Tape (aka Painter's Mate Green) is sticking, REALLY well, a little too well where removing the part usually pulls the tape up and as with the LCD top shown below ended up leaving residue on surface (which I'm still unable to remove). Is the Blue tape a better choice...Brand/Model of the tape used?

(2) The photos show the filament lines a little exaggerated (not so noticeable to naked eye), but hey maybe that is my problem... some of the filament breaks away on parts with straight lines (after printing) like it's not melting/fusing together with adjacent filament.

(3) first 2 layers appear to print perfectly and seem to almost always mess up on the 3rd or 4th layers, start getting messy/stringy, then finish the rest of the part fine (or relatively fine - other points). Does this have something to do with the fan kicking in on the 3rd layer (?? not sure what and why always on the 3rd ish layer).

(4) The beveled corners on the LCD top part in the pictures got very 'rough', not sure why.

Using MatterControl
    Temp: 205/200
    Bed Temp: 0/0
    Layer Height: 0.2046mm
    Slic3r
    On this part:
    Fill Density: 0.5
    Fill Pattern: honeycomb
    Support Material: Off
    Auto Cooling: On
    Speed or Extrusion Multiplier: 1

Any recommendations would be appreciated, it is a little frustrating when everything is in the crapper and you adjust one little item (Z height for example) and everything starts to print reasonably well... Scares me to make any drastic changes, hence this post.

Note: Some of the crap (lint looking material) is caused by me trying to remove the tape residue from the print...only made matters worse lol.

LCDTop1.jpg LCDTop2.jpg LCDTop3.jpg LCDTop4.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

(1) I get the same behavior from blue painters tape. I could probably do without it, but I am willing to scrifice tape to insure a stick.

(2) If the layers are not fusing I would look at the following:
    (a) Z height (make sure 1st layer is at right level). Can't tell from this set of photos.
    (b) play around with the temperatures. Do some tests and walk it up/down to see if you can find where the filament sweet spot is.
    (c) slow down the speeds. While extreme, I usually run with print speeds of <50 (35 is my norm). Too fast can cause layer bonding issues.

(3) refer to (2)(b) i think you are little too hot. That will often cause stringing. The fact that it gets worse on the 3rd layer could well be related to (a) if the height is a little too high it will tend to get worse as the print progresses.

Here is the process I use to find the temp setting for the normal filament (ABS/PLA):

I park the head in the middle and start doing test extrusions (10 mm) and then examining the filament that gets extruded. If it is too loose/curls up immediately the hot end or the like, it is too hot still. Lower it a few degrees and try again. You want it melted/flowing but not dripping or sticking to the hot end (a good symptom of too hot).

This does not work with more exotic filaments (nylon,T Glase, etc.) those you need to pay more attention to the manufacturer specs for temps.

3. Chris McKernan

Thanks Mark for the response.
    Comments to your responses:

(1) The tape doesn't just stick, I mean I really don't mind replacing tape each time I do a Print. My problem is the surface of the tape (non adhesive side) is embedded in the print...and due to the LCD panel I was doing - this ends up being the front on the case, very visible. I tried Alcohol 99%, warm water, goo gone (against my better judgement). Nothing. Using the glass by itself doesn't work, heated or not, and vinyl worked but is tough to replace on the bed when it gets marked up (sticking too much as well).

(2a) Sorry didn't photograph the bottom layer. I guess this could be an initial z height issue...
    (2b) I was checking every 5 degrees for changes, I started getting better prints at the higher temp, but might be linked to the z height if that is contributing.
    (2c) I've never changed the speed settings, they've always stayed at the default 1.0 so I guess I could reduce to 75% or more to see. Are the quoted amounts rates or percentages of full speed?? I'm not sure in Matter Control where the speed is set other than the extrusion and movement rate modifier (in advanced printer settings). I'll look around.

(3) When I say stringing, I mean not strands being carried around, but the filament appears not to fuse to the adjacent layers/filament. so I can run my finger on the edge and easily pop a run of the filament from the printed item. Not sure if I'm explaining this correctly. I would assume that higher temperature would soften the filament more and take a tiny bit more time to cool, therefore it would mix more easily with adjacent layers... no more strands? no?

I really appreciate the guidance, I'll try some manual feeding (by software) in the center and see how it behaves.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

(1) Ah. Now I get ya. You may be able to work with just glue stick on the glass, or try running the bed heated (if this is PLA) and it may come free a little easier. I have not had any luck with the hairspray, but I know they want a specific brand/type of chemistry.

(2b) Yes, check the initial Z height setting before you do too much else. That is sort of key :) You may be OK, the layers I can see are not grossly out but a little off can contribute to a lot of layers not fusing together. However assuming that is not off you just need to find the right temperature and speed.
    (2c) I do not normally use MC, but in Repetier there is section for all of the speeds under the slicer config. Just drop the print move speeds. Nonprint moves and like are not an issue. The numbers I gave you are rates (not percentages) in mm/s.

(3) Again, misunderstood. Yes, higher temps will help layer-to-layer fusion. Too hot and the print head can get to stringing around filament (which is more messy than problematic).

5. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

If you can get it locally I would try Aquanet Super Hold hairspray. It dissolves in water or ethanol. Heat to 60C to dry and print at around 50C. Another one to try is UHU gluestick. I never bothered with any type of tape.

What do you have the fan max speed set to? If it is too high it can cause delamination. You probably don't need the fan for that type of print.

6. Chris McKernan

Interesting, I'm going to try both Hairspray and Glue Stick this weekend.

The fan hasn't been set to a specific speed, like most of my settings it's left at default I think which is
    Auto Fan speed. Off for the first couple layers. I thought this might be related to the issues I was having with the print seemingly messing up always on the 3rd layer, and would recover in a layer or two to complete normally.

Thanks, will give it a go.

Everyone is so helpful on this site, I do appreciate the time to offer the advice to me.

7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

See if there is a max fan setting that the auto mode will scale from. I'm not sure that this exists in Mattercontrol. I use a shirt sized gift box cover with a cutout to mask the hairspray and keep in on the bed and away from the carriage and rods. There are some threads on how to use glue stick. Hairspray is pretty easy. It just takes some work to remove a print with a large surface area. Let the bed cool and if it does not pop off I sometimes dribble some water around the edge of the print. If the surface is clean after removal then just give it a light spray to reuse.

Many of us are helping because we have been helped so much by others here.

8. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

If using hairspray, it's good to clean the bed and give it a good spray. It will be invisible to the eye but the Filene sticks good. And when you take your print off, it's so shiny underneath.

I tried the glue stick but found that it's messy and after a few coats, it leaves a thick mess and might affect the height of the print at some places.

The hairspray I use is the following found in Canada

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Chris McKernan

I've been messing around with Fan ON / OFF / AUTO and 0-255, masking tape with/without glue stick, heated/not heated bed. I either run into the not sticking issue or the sticking too much issue lol, one way or the other...never the in between.

I been trying to print the bottom half of Graphic LCD, I tried prying it off but the strength of the slice to slice isn't that strong and it easily cracks. The last time using tape and glue stick, I could have easily picked the printer up (if the part have that strength) by the part stuck to the bed. Finally I used alcohol on the print and it became gummy and released.

I really feel like I'm still not getting the 'print' correct. I 'll get a layer or two fine and then a little glob of filament will end up on the print, then the head will drag it across damaging other areas...etc. You get the idea.

I wish someone could show a video that clearly shows what the first layer should look like and how the print should normally progress. I'm a bit frustrated, especially due to the 2 hours between failures. Gets a little 'difficult' to handle.

Thanks, I'll try and find the Alberto....shouldn't be an issue. And I'll make a cardboard shield for spraying the bed.

I see how this all turn out. Right now 80% of the prints look great, except hear and there are issues, the layers don't bond really well so it just seems like weak layers of filament (in thin walls - flat surfaces look fine).

Chris

10. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Chris,
    I'm not sure how much experimenting you did with temperature but it you should be doing some small solid test cubes and hollow frames to get to the right temperature for layer to layer adhesion. Print and try to pull apart with pliers. Also, did you try another filament spool?

There are many many good postings on the first layer from Tesseract. Sometimes I tweak it while skirt loops are being printed by turning the left and right threaded Z rods slightly (clockwise for higher, counterclockwise for lower). Too high and the filament won't stick. Too low and it's so squished that plastic oozes to the side to each pass and builds up. Some buildup is OK because it is usually covered and cleaned up by the second layer. This is really not too hard if your bed is reasonably level in the Y direction.

Get Aquanet Extra Hold (or Alberto) and use water or alcohol to unstick large contact area prints.

11. Chris McKernan

Actually I've never done that. Sooo, maybe you can recommend a test object which might fit the bill for testing the layer to layer adhesion. Also, I think I remember seeing a block object that had temperatures written on them that allowed you to see the differences caused by temp - maybe I'll see if I can find that.

I only picked up 2 rolls of filament, one Red (looks like orange) PLA and one Black ABS...and everyone seems to think stick with PLA until you can get it right before venturing off into anything else. Maybe I'll pick up another roll of PLA in Blue or Black.

-edit-
    Maybe something like this:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:210111/#files tempest.jpg

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've got simplify 3d so I'll generate the gcode to do that print on the robo.

13. Chris McKernan

Ok I ended up doing this item: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:211514

The original had issues and was printing way off the bed, so I noticed this one stated it was a fixed version (even though it was tempest2 and the earlier one was called tempest 3). My results (I changed the temp every 10mm manually on MatterControl) to me are inconclusive. I'm still lost, this was NO BED HEAT, and NO FAN on extruder.

I will try breaking it at each of the temp centers to see if there is any difference in adherence.

BTW - the UHU glue stick worked (no masking tape), and it was only moderately difficult to get off the bed.

Now I have noticed that some people have web'ed surface around base of objects (lack of the proper term) stand or something to help the print stick. What is that? and is it possible to do through MatterControl because I haven't seen it.

There was issues with some of the layers dragging into the center of the column Check last photo, Sorry tough to photograph with my phone (not enough light).
    photo 10.JPG photo 15.JPG photo 14.JPG photo 12.JPG

14. Chris McKernan

Considered that software for purchase - is it worth the cost?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, but I talked about that in detail in the other thread :)

That is called a 'raft' and yes, the purpose of the raft is to get the model to stick better.
    Enabling the raft is what you do (to generate it) this is a slicer setting (probably under or near the 'support material' settings in whatever UI you are using).

Hard to tell exactly from the picture, but visually it looks like 190-195 are the better settings from that print. As you mentioned you need to test them for layer separation and see if that is better.

16. Chris McKernan

I will check for the thread, yes I'm cross posting on my own topic, stupid me.:oops:

Checked around, there is only an option for 'Generate Support Material' (in Slic3r) it doesn't generate a raft, only support in openings from what I can tell. I'll retest it.

Thanks again.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

In slic3r 1.0.0RC2
    Under support material
    There is a box called RAFT with a RAFT LAYERS setting. Set it to how ever many layers of raft (2-3 most likely) you need.

(screenshot attached)

Attached Files:

18. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I think a raft for PLA is overkill for most prints. With Aquanet hairspray and a 50C bed PLA will stick fine (110C for ABS). It you have a thin edged, low first layer surface area model I would specify a 3mm brim in Slic3r. A raft may be useful for some ABS models.

19. Chris McKernan

I'm soooo stupid I didn't notice the 'SHOW ALL SETTINGS' box in MatterControl, so all I saw was 'Generate Support Material' with no other options. If I check the Show All I get a substantial amount of tweekable settings including the RAFT Layers. Even lets me change movement speeds, extrusion speed, etc. Now I feel like I have a tiny bit more control.:)

20. Chris McKernan

Yep, totally understand. In fact I can hardly say getting PLA to stick is my problem. Getting it to release, well yes, although the glue stick does seem to work so far, and it's easy to clean up with water...so far so good. I did buy the E3D hot end with the intention to swap out, but currently I haven't earned it lol. It will stay on the shelf for a little while until I get everything figured out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.