1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

gr8se prints

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by gr8se, Apr 16, 2014.

1. gr8se

gr8se New Member

First thread for me. Thanks to everyone supporting the forum, it has been a great help since receiving my printer.

The issue I am having now is occurring on taller prints (See pictures). The first 100 or so layers moves very smoothly around this circular object and the surface quality is acceptable. Midway through though the printer starts approximating the circle with short little lines. My g-code does not differ throughout the print and the banding is in the z direction. I have also started to get some excessive stringing.

My settings are as follows...

*ROBO 3d PLA PLASTIC - printed on painters tape.
    *LAYER HEIGHT - .1058 mm
    *PERIM SPEED - 65 mm *NUMBER OF PERIM - 3
    *EXTRUDER TEMP - 200 *EXTRUDER RETRACTION - 3

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

The issue could be temp related in one of two ways: Play with the extruder temp a bit stringing is usually a combination of the filament being too hot and/or retraction not being far enough. The other aspect which could make the extruder temp fine is if you have a parts cooling fan operational or not. PLA cools slowly so sometimes requires a cooling fan to keep thing working well when printing since it occurs after a certain amount of filament has been laid put down there will be residual heat build up that could mimic a hotter nozzle temp issue like the stringing. If you don't have a cooling fan running make sure you do that especially for PLA.

3. gr8se

gr8se New Member

Okay thanks, a cooler extruder temp appears to be working. I did not have a cooling fan running and I will try that soon.

Any idea regarding the break down of the printer path further along in the print? The g-code shows continuous circular shapes throughout, and the print begins that way, but then it begins approximating the curve with tiny segments. You can see the line segments in photo 3, as compared to the smooth beginning in 1 and 2.

4. gr8se

gr8se New Member

*I have already added the z-axis stabilizers.

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

does it start at the same time the internal parts start to get printed I think it does if I am not mistaken those internal "fins" look like they start about half way up right where the lines begin it is probably a function of printing those "fins" as well as the perimeter section.is it a thingiverse shape if so what is the link and I can look at in the 3d view

6. gr8se

gr8se New Member

It's a prototype that I have modeled myself for an installation commission.

In the model pictured it does appear so, but I have had other versions where the majority of the shape is clean and the stuttering starts at higher locations. So I have had success with the fins, but at some point in the print the circle will decompose into many different lines. If you would be interested I could send the 3d file to you. If so, what format would you prefer? I do modeling in Rhino for Mac. When I have time tonight I will double check my g-code (Slic3r) to make certain those layers are continuous lines.

7. gr8se

gr8se New Member

also, do you have any suggestions (or other threads) on support? as you can see in photo 2, I cannot make that nearly horizontal central piece without it.

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

The main thing to remember is that everything on this printer using this firmware is straight lines they may just be very small so as circles get larger and larger the lines should get smaller and smaller to maintain the proper curve. Now your internal section will affect how the lines are drawn as things like harmonics come into play. They are a tricky things to figure out. I am not say in gyou have that going on but just note the how an object gets slices will affect it you may want to try Cura as aslicing engine as well and see what those results end up like

9. gr8se

gr8se New Member

thank you tesseract for the information. a cooler temp stopped my stringing.

here are some pictures of a scale model of the entire connection, and my questions are about the surface texture. notice the rough texture in photo 1 down the center of each tube. any ideas about why those areas are rough? is it a product of that being the most extreme angle in the print? I printed the piece in the orientation shown in photo 3. I did notice that my extruder temp was dropping below 195 periodically during the print, down to 191 and back up again.

My settings are as follows...

*LAYER HEIGHT - .1058 mm
    *PERIM SPEED - 65 mm *NUMBER OF PERIM - 3
    *EXTRUDER TEMP - 195 *EXTRUDER RETRACTION - 3

Attached Files:

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's the angle. Looks like it could use some support.

2 people like this.
  11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with Mike that shape will most likely require some support

12. gr8se

gr8se New Member

okay thanks, i will give the support a shot.

is the drop/variance in extruder temp abnormal? should i be investigating that? throughout the print repetier says that it is preventing cold extrusion, but it doesn't appear to be stopping the extrusion.

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe the lower limit is 170 so if you are close to taht then yes it could be normal but you are not it could be a loose therimistor or a faulty one that is give sporadic readings. I had a similar instance where the flexing of the wiring caused a break and I saw the same radical changes in temp and the COLD EXTRUSION WARNING am plaaning a rebuild of the hot end when I get done with my move in about 1 1/2 weeks to finally correct

14. gr8se

gr8se New Member

I started having some lamination issues so I've gone back to some calibration steps to investigate.

Any suggestions on my current settings or analysis of my steps (see pictures)?

Thank you!

Settings:

*LAYER HEIGHT - .2046 mm
    *PERIM SPEED - 50 mm *NUMBER OF PERIM - 2
    *FILL - .8 Rectilinear *FILL SPEED - 35 mm
    *EXTRUDER TEMP FIRST - 190 *EXTRUDER TEMP ALL - 183 *EXTRUDER RETRACTION - 3
    *FAN - 50

photo 3.JPG photo 1.JPG photo.JPG

15. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

first thing I see is that overall it appears slightly melted and that is an indication of the extruder temp still being a bit warm. The top,ost block is the most difficult part on this print usually it appears to just have rounded sides but yours does look slightly melted I have a feeling your extruder is printing a bit warmer than what you are seeing. Your indicated settings as far as temp goes look OK but the result is what you look at ao I would try to lower the temps a bit more and make sure no heat is on the bed

16. gr8se

gr8se New Member

I have a consistency problem I'm trying to figure out. Photo 1 shows part of a band that runs around the entire piece, about half an inch tall, where there appears to be some under extrusion. There are clear holes in some of the layers. It seems odd that this inconsistency would only appear for a small part of the print (and being the most vertical face it should be the most simple), and then finishes correctly. The hobbed bolt is not full of gunk, but as I have mentioned before, my extruder temp does not hold constant throughout the whole print. It states that the temperature is at most 5 degrees below my setting.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Settings:

*LAYER HEIGHT - .1058 mm
    *PERIM SPEED - 50 mm *NUMBER OF PERIM - 3
    *FILL - 0 *SOLID LAYERS - 5 bottom
    *EXTRUDER TEMP FIRST - 190 *EXTRUDER TEMP ALL - 185 *EXTRUDER RETRACTION - 3
    *FAN - 100
    *PRINT TIME - 20 h

photo 1.JPG

17. gr8se

gr8se New Member

I have a consistency problem I'm trying to figure out. Photo 1 shows part of a band that runs around the entire piece, about half an inch tall, where there appears to be some under extrusion. There are clear holes in some of the layers. It seems odd that this inconsistency would only appear for a small part of the print (and being the most vertical face it should be the most simple), and then finishes correctly. The hobbed bolt is not full of gunk, but as I have mentioned before, my extruder temp does not hold constant throughout the whole print. It states that the temperature is at most 5 degrees below my setting.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Settings:

*LAYER HEIGHT - .1058 mm
    *PERIM SPEED - 50 mm *NUMBER OF PERIM - 3
    *FILL - 0 *SOLID LAYERS - 5 bottom
    *EXTRUDER TEMP FIRST - 190 *EXTRUDER TEMP ALL - 185 *EXTRUDER RETRACTION - 3
    *FAN - 100
    *PRINT TIME - 20 h

18. gr8se

gr8se New Member

see above picture please. any help is greatly appreciated.

19. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Try a higher temp. I'm currently using 196 for all layers for PLA, though it's not Robo PLA.

20. gr8se

gr8se New Member

Y-axis homing problem.

My y-axis does not go to it's full printing limits when honed. It is about 2 inches from the print area limit. Also, when I have the machine off I cannot manually push the bed to the print area limit. My y-axis belt is not too tight and there does not appear to be anything impeding it's path. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.