1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

heatbed and bed leveling

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by CAMBO3D, Jul 5, 2013.

1. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

ultibots.com for power supply and kapton heatbed,, be aware if you run a 24v heatbed you'll need a 24v power supply and make necessary changes to firmware and what not.
    I would not get that combo..get a kapton heater with aluminum spreader and boro glass on top.

2. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

i used a circuit breaker..pick a fuse or circuit breaker. that is within limits of the heat bed your wiring it to.. ie if it uses 18amps, get a 20amp fuse or circuit breaker.. ..etc..

3. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

heatbeds dont always run at max amps...they peak while they are heating up. then drop to nominal current as the temperature reaches the set point.

proof..example..
    onyx current draw test.jpg

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Depends on the ∆T above ambient. A heatbed running at 110C will probably be pulling near max power since it requires a large amount of energy to maintain this on such a large surface area. I could see the hbp running at >90% power to maintain 100C, but don't really feel like going through the calculations to verify how much energy it actually takes

5. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

umm nope..

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

well said

7. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

THANKS!:rolleyes:

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's ok. You're allowed to be intimidated by my intelligence. Most people are.

9. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

ok..if you say so :rolleyes:

10. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

word of warning.... if you have any questions regarding my heat bed set up please feel free to ask directly. There are a lot of other things to it other than what i show.. just because i used a 24v power supply doesn't mean you have to.. my configuration is different from stock and done this way for a reason...

11. Brian Stott

Brian Stott New Member

12. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

pretty long drawn out write up.. and the simplest solution to your problem (which is not related to this thread) is to just add a fan.. or have the manufacture fix the problem rather than you fixing their screw up..

13. Brian Stott

Brian Stott New Member

Ha, ha... yeah wordy - I'm alone.
    This thread diverted and was talking about HBP amp draw, delta_T , power, circuit breakers, fans, 24V, etc. Sorry for the wrong post.

Using The Fan is an excuse and cluge. The board design was good when the designs were made - HBPs were running 4-6 Ohms and people over heat their stepper drivers because many mis-calibrate or do not calibrate the stepper driver power. This RAMPS board design was earlier in 3D printing for hobbyists years.

The RAMPS components are Not a True Manufacturer's problem. The boards are built per design. It was in Design and NOT a problem but, with the production company users. Definitely - the screw up is the guys going to production without actually fully testing this off the shelf item. Many of us have it screw up immediately so the problem should not have been hard to find before selling and shipping many. The Robo guys are beginners, like us all, too....

Thanks.... :)

14. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

15. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

Jerry, the only benefit you'll get out of using that insulator, is the heat bed will get to temperature quicker than without an insulator. It wont reduce how much current the heat bed uses. The only way to change how much current the bed uses is to get a heat bed that uses less current.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

How would you adhere it? Insulating the air side would help with the thermal requirements during operation as you're directing more of the energy into the borosilicate which has a high thermal conductivity, so only a little.

BTW I did some math on the energy requirements. I assumed during steady state operations the immediate ambient air surrounding the boro would be ~40C to make the numbers work. As the heater only has 110W of power it didn't make sense it would require 130W of power to maintain 100C at a 20C ambient. Though that does make more sense if you were blowing cool air or something else to maintain an 80C differential.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...STRfUXd2akw1VkxMVlNNREVULVE&usp=sharing#gid=0 If someone wants to check my math

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Mike,

A few observations:

- The overall heatbed design on the R1 struggles to hold temp @100c. If you turn the extruder fan on (more than around 30-40% for example), the bed can not hold 100c. So every watt than can be saved or added will help.

- The voltage to the bed itself is not actually 12v. There is a voltage drop across the Mosfet and in the cabling. The actual output voltage from the RAMPS to the bed is around 11.7v.

- The Mosfet on the RAMPS gets way too hot. Obviously watts are being lost in the Mosfet and I don't think your calculation has taken that into account. The STP55NF06L Mosfet used in the RAMPS 1.4 design has an on resistance of around 0.018 ohms. In fact the Mosfet is getting so hot it is probably in the zone where its specs are being derated. A far better Mosfet for the Robo application would be one like the STP80NF55-08 which has on on resistance of 0.008 ohms. This would at least halve the voltage drop across the Mosfet, reduce the power lost and keep the Mosfet within its safe operating zone.

- Your calc shows heat loss to ambient of around 13 watts. If there were insulation under the bed this loss could be halved and save around 6.5 watts (about 5-6%).

- Having insulation under the bed should stop the Y Axis belt being slowly "cooked" .

- Insulation (eg cork, fibreglass etc) is very cheap especially if it can be added at manufacture.

Just my two cents.

Z

18. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I would certainly agree with that. Getting adequate power to the heat bed and avoiding as much heat loss as possible is where the focus needs to be.

20. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for all of this information. We are, in fact, having our own control board made for our printers. It's going to be 24 V system. I'm going to make sure we get the right mosfets and polyswitches on the board. And it's going to come standard with a fan. We will have prototypes built up soon and will be testing them over the next month. This information is really helpful for us during this process!

5 people like this.