1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Heated replacement bed...no magnets

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Mikethinks, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

Hey,

Ive been printing with my homemade bed for a while, but decided to install the repalcement bed I got last month. When I took it out I noticed it doesnt have the magnets, but has holes drilled in it???

Is this something new? I couldnt see a way to use the holes that didnt interfere with the smooth rods. Im guessing I'll just attach some magnets?

is this a bed made for the old style rails?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, it should have some rare earth magnets in there.

3. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

Yea, nope. Its ok, Ive got plenty of them. Just curious what the holes are for :p

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

there were 3 (? -- wierd but true) set of magnets. Two on one end and one on the other (matched pairs in plate and bed rails).

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The holes were for when the bed used drawer slides

6. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

Yes, when I made my aluminum bed to use while waiting for the heated bed to be fixed I just glued some rare earth magnets on it and have been using it for several months. I'll just glue some of them on the old style bed I got. Still tinkering I guess LOL. I really like the aluminum bed I made though (its been working so dang well)....I may just put the heater coil from the shattered bed on that.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No reason why that wouldn't work. The aluminum might work a bit harder to maintain the heat (or maybe not). Still, worth a shot.

8. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

I salvaged the heating element from the shattered bed (pulling super sticky thing off of sharp glass...that was fun...about an hours worth LOL.) I attached it to the aluminum bed using some Scotch90 and 3m dble tape for the clip part. Works great.