1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hello! Another one from Central Florida!

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by JDS, May 2, 2016.

1. JDS

JDS New Member

Hello!
    Just received my R1+ on Friday! So, NEVER having any 3D experience, I have been on a crash dive learning how to make models, save as STL, and print using MC. Quite an experience!!! I am LOVING it!

This printer is pretty amazing!

The 1st thing I printed was the calibration ring (using the sample PLA) - with no changes to anything. It came out fine - as I could tell. Then I used the Fusion360 freebee that came with the setup and created a couple of models. Never having used a CAD program or anything it was pretty straight forward on sketching and extruding (the tutorials helped a lot!)

Printed a couple of my own models but they didn't look as expected. So, I downloaded a couple of "calibration" files from thingiverse and printed. I had to adjust the extrude rate to about 80% and looks like I might need to adjust retraction, or some timing, to get rid of some whiskers. Otherwise, things look okay.
    Some problems with MC and supports. Can't wait until I figure this one out because those things just will not come off!

Started playing with ABS but was getting bad warping (lifting) on the edges. After a few failed attempts I finally seemed to figure this one out using rafts with a small (0.4) air gap. Works so well I almost have to "freeze" the parts off!!

All-in-all, this printer is great but, since I don't have any prior experience, the only thing I can really say is that it "does what you tell it!". The few issues I have had have been my own lack of understanding to set the appropriate values required based on what I want! I am sure that will come with experience!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome from Illinois !

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

At last we are nearing critical mass here in central FLA :)
    Welcome aboard.