1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Help broken infill???

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kirk, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Kirk

Kirk Member

I'm using simplify3d and I cant figure this out? I've tried turning up the infill width (up to 175%and everywhere in between) and that would look pretty good but after printing about 5-10 layers it would stop extruding so I have tried turning up the temp and now im back to broken infill patterns again....I have been battling with this for about 3-4 hours now and haven't been able to fix what I thought would have been pretty easy to fix.

the only place there is infill left is where the patterns cross just leaving pillars.

I'm Printing in PLA and iv'e tried temps from 195-210 with the infill width varying from 100-175 but it seemed like once i got a decent infill for the first layer or 2 than it would just start coming apart after that and once i got the infill with to 145 or higher and tried to let it finish the print to see how it would come out about half or 3/4 the way through it would jam in the nozzle and stop printing. so that's when i started turning the temp up thinking that the nozzle wasn't hot enough to melt that amount of plastic but it still jammed and the infill was even worse. i'm pretty sure the 197 temp is pretty good because it worked well in other slicers

i'm am just printing a 50mm square 6mm high with no top or bottom layers so i can concentrate on just the in fill.
    i started with just 1 outside perimeter but changed to 2 since the perimeters seemed to print fine and they extrude less plastic thinking that it would give the extruder more time to prep for the higher extrusion in the center.

i can check the nozzle to see if it is partially clogged and i would like to say that it could be to much moisture in filament but i tried 2 different rolls one new and the other is about 5-6 months old. the air is also very dry here in Maine right now do to our winter so i don't think that the filament would be pulling in to much moisture from the air and i store my rolls in gallon freezer bags with desiccants in them.

Sorry so lengthy just wanted to get all the info out there. :)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Two words.
    1) seasoning
    2) oiler

Season the hotend if you have not (you are using PLA...) and you would likely be better off with an oiler added on. Otherwise you need to re-season periodically.

3. Kirk

Kirk Member

I have an inline oilier on and have been running with it on for months now... Putting a drop or 2 for most prints I do... Thermal is definitely enough oil in it

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've always had issues with infill on 100 micron prints. What layer height are you trying for?

5. Kirk

Kirk Member

I'm working with. 2..... One of the things I find odd is it works fine on matter control. It just seems like I can't find the right settings

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Picture of the issue would help.

Probably temperature related.

7. Kirk

Kirk Member

8. Kirk

Kirk Member

Temps have gone from 197-213 with the same issues

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Why not open a ticket with Simplify3D? They do provide really good support :)

Since you have it working in MatterControl I am sure they can figure out what is set differently.

10. Kirk

Kirk Member

I think I may need to.... This I's getting pretty annoying

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They do a really good job supporting their product. Pop them a ticket.

12. Kirk

Kirk Member

well I just noticed that I can feel the filament skip in the hobbed bolt, and that is with a new bolt and the temp at 213

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

you can always go hotter. 220, 230, etc.

It might also help to clean out the nozzle.

14. Kirk

Kirk Member

I just cleaned it...... This filament fine @ 197 before in different slicing software so can't imagine I would even need to go as high as 215 ...and that doesn't even work?

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Might be speed related as well. Whatever it is you shouldn't be messing with infill width.

16. Kirk

Kirk Member

The infill width is just an extrusion multiplier and it seems like common place to have it set at 150% or higher for infill with SD. When I had it at 100% there was almost no infill coming out after the the first layer.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

S3D is all I use and I have never had to tweak that.
    100% is pretty darn near 100% infill for me. Solid objects.

18. Kirk

Kirk Member

That's part of the reason I'm confused...... The infill works fine in other slicers but when I used the S3D I get almost none with the " assumed" settings?

19. Kirk

Kirk Member

Mark since you use S3D what are you settings for temp, infill ect for pla? ...and do you have any tips for the bridging since that's my next project?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Attached are three different profiles I use, all PLA. They are probably close to current.
    Rename them to *.fff and you can import them.

Attached Files: