1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved HEX Extruder HOT END leaking

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert Choban, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Not sure what has gone wrong but my hot ends is leaking, I have attached some pictures. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have the newer Robo R1 with the enclosed bottom and the all metal hex hot end. The leaking liquid will eventually fall off onto the objected being printer and cause a blob. Not sure why this just started happening, I have not had any filament feeding problems or hot end heating problems. I am heating to 210 for my extruder and my bed is set at 60

Attached Files:

2. Ricky_Spanish

Ricky_Spanish Member

I had the same problem. Remove the hotend entirely. Remove the nozzle and heater block from the cooling section, and clean all the PLA from them. Screw the cooling section into the block, and tighten the nozzle securely against it. Since this seems to be something that will occur frequently by looking at the design, I would recommend ordering a screw in thermistor and tap for the hole so you don't have to fiddle with the rubber sleeve that holds the thermistor in. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modular-Scr...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4ad175c679 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BHLSIO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Hope this helps.

3. mikej997

mikej997 New Member

Robert, I had the same problem. I took it apart and cleaned it as Ricky described and reinstalled. I made sure to tighten it when reassembling it but it still leaked. I ended up heating the extruder to normal temp (210 or so) and using the little wrench and being very careful to avoid burns, tightened it again and got some more movement from the fitting. Leak stopped for me. Hope it helps you!

4. Robert Choban

I hope people are still reading this thread, because I'm still having problems with my Hexagon Hot end leaking. I have sent a message to the Robo support team 7 days ago about this leaking problem, but have not gotten any feed back. Not real happy about the support I have been getting from the Robo support team. I'm still waiting for Robo to send me a fan and shroud for the Hexagon hot end, that was damage when I first got the printer about a month ago. I ended up buying a fan online and had a friend make me a new shroud.
    When it first started to leak I took the hot end apart and cleaned it up as much as I could. The silicon boot was damage in trying to remove it from the heater block, it also had a lot of filament build up in it, also I could not pull out the heater or the thermistor from the heater block , I didn't pull very hard, afraid I would break something. I have tried to locate a supplier of the Hexagon that will sell just the heater block and the silicon boot, but no luck so far. On Printed Solid site they sell some parts for the E3D hot end, but nothing for the Hexagon. I've decided to give the Hexagon another try so I order the kit from Printed Solid, I hope this will not be a mistake and should have just order the E3D. Interesting, the Hexagon Kit cost $59.00 from Printed Solid with free shipping, $49.00 from Reprapdiscount, with $25.00 shipping and a special price of $70.00 from MakerFarm, not sure about shipping. Still no one offers the parts I listed above, not even RepapDiscount. While I'm waiting for my order I going to give the old Hexagon one more try, I going bring the temp up to at least 230 degrees and then tighten the Heater block to the cold end with supplied wrench, this time real tighten it. Hope I don't break something. There are a few questions I would like comments or opinons on before I try this and before I install the new Hexagon hot end.
    1. I tried to remove the bass nozzle from the old Hot end block(where the heater sits). but it would not move, I did not try real hard. Should I try to harder to remove it before tighten the screw in to the hot end block. In other words, do I need to loosen the bass nozzle before tightening the screw that goes into the hot end block and then tighten back up the bass nozzle.
    2. Also when I get the new Hexagon, what is the best way to assemble. Again which gets tightened first, the bass nozzle or the screw that goes into the heater block.
    3. Is 230 degrees hot enough when I start to tighten everything down.
    4. Should I season the new hot end, would it do me any good to season the old hot end.
    5. What should I use to secure the thermistor to the hot end block, is the silicon boot enough or do I need some type of silicon cement.

Thanks for your help, I know I have talked to some people individually about this problem, I do respect you comments, I'm just reaching out to other who may have something to add. I'm really worried about installing this new Hexagon hot end and having the same problem.

5. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Your hot end needs to be hot when tightening. If it's cold it will not tighten enough.

Heat the hot end to 210 and then re-tighten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

6. Robert Choban

Peter, thanks for the response. I have a new twist on my Hexagon leaking problem. I am still going to try and tighten up the exiting Hexagon hot end that is leaking. But as a backup if this did not work, I ordered a new Hexagon hot end. When I receive it there was no silicon boot included, I contacted the supplier and apparently they are not shipping the silicon boot with any of the replacement Hexagon hot end Kits. They are shipping 2 fans but no silicon boot. So I decided to send back the Hexagon and order the new E3D V6 hot end. Shame on ReprapDiscount for not supplying what is need for installing the Hexagon Hot end. So before I switch my research over to finding out how to install and setup the E3D V6 on the new Robo V1, I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for there help with the Hexagon hot end . Robo support is not the greatest and without this forum it would be very hard to setup or upgrade a Robo printer.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Open source relies on a community of followers. Otherwise it shrivels up and closes itself off.

8. John Durr

John Durr Member

why is none of this included with your printer. I got mine with the hexagon hot end it ended up leaking then breaking.

jerry is sending me a replacement.

not knowing how long it would be i bough one from printed solid. just got it today. everything was nice and thing but it started to leak.
    again no warnings no instruction to heat and tighten before using. now i wasted even more money.

well i did contact printed solid lets see what they say.

do you have to heat up and tighten all hot ends this way?

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes

10. John Durr

John Durr Member

why is this not stated somewhere. i hold the company responsible for this.

like i said this is how i got the printer and nowhere did it say to tighten before using

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The heat-up-and-tighten needs to be done when you install. I would expect printers delivered now (with a Hexagon already installed) to have that done to them and for them to be ready to use. Now if you get a new/replacement one, yea it needs to be done when you install it.

12. John Durr

John Durr Member

sorry to sound like a broken record but

Why is there no reminder of that when you buy 1.

I still say I am happy for this forum. But the manufacturers need to step up and info the customers of some basic facts

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Did it not come with installation instructions? That would be ... bad. The E3D came with pretty well documented instructions (and not a few pictures).

14. John Durr

John Durr Member

No it came with nothing. Not even links to outdated videos that someone else uses.
    Maybe I should look into the E3D V6 Hot end

Mark what is your impression of the E3D hot end

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It was a manufacturing error because previously Hexagon had not stated you need to heat the hot end to tighten it down. Now they do.

Robo3d isn't your average company. Don't expect the same from them as a company worth 100x as much.

The install video is on the sd card that came with your printer

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

This is true, but there was a batch that went out with a cold compression and those tend to vibrate loose over time.

2 people like this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am quite happy with it. I have the v5, the v6 is their current model (can't speak to that, but there are likely others on here who can).

That makes sense at least.

18. Ricky_Spanish

Ricky_Spanish Member

I replaced my Hex with a V6 and couldn't be happier with it.

4 people like this.
  19. John Durr

John Durr Member

Ricky what did you do to mount it. Did you use original hardware or print something new.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer