1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved HEX Extruder HOT END leaking

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert Choban, Oct 5, 2014.

1. John Durr

John Durr Member

Mike just watched the video included on flash drive it is outdated as it shows the printer with no bottom cover. It also has no mention of the need to heat and tighten the hot end. I ordered my printer on 10/5/14 and received it on Monday 10/13/14, boy I am glad it was not Friday I would not want to imagine the kind of luck I would have with that one.

2. John Durr

John Durr Member

I wonder if mine was one of them, maybe if Jerry reads this he would be kind and let me know.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The hot end tightening is only something a certain number of printers have, they don't want to show it as it's a case by case basis. We resolved the leaking issue in the middle of October as more and more leaking reports came in. That's when they contacted reprapdiscount and were informed they now recommend heating the nozzle for securing it together. In all previous install videos they did it cold. This conflict of information led to the issue.

Now all printers are heated up and tightened at roboHQ before going out. They are also are experimenting with high temp loctite because heating it hot in their manufacturing plant adds complexity to the install process.

The bottom cover in the video isn't really critical. Though I do agree they should do a better job of maintaining the video, they just take 3-6 months to get a new one out it seems.

4. John Durr

John Durr Member

Ok so from what you say it is likely that my printer would be in that group that had the problem.

I have a replacement on order and should be shipped to me soon. So according to what you wrote will it be heated and tighten before I get it or will I have to do it?

5. John Durr

John Durr Member

From the line that says "We resolved" I gather you work for Robo 3D. I that is true that is great to have someone from the company watching and helping.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I do not. I just volunteer time to help them out.

2 people like this.
  7. John Durr

John Durr Member

In todays world where so many people have access to the internet and sites like Facebook and twitter, Every company should care.
    It would be very easy for someone to cause a lot of problems for any company if they put out a product and do not support it.

For Robo 3D 1 idea may be for them to include a large piece of paper stating " go to Robo3d.com and register your printer and check out the latest how to get started info before you start."

This way you will be able to have them see it before something happens.

But then you already have who bought what and when since even though I bought mine from Newegg if was sold by Robo.

8. John Durr

John Durr Member

This is my first time involved with a community like this.
    So let me make this very clear

THANK YOU
    for taking the time to help everyone

3 people like this.
  9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They absolutely care, they just don't have the financial backing and resources to produce the same level of product as a company worth billions of dollars. All I request is some compassion to understand they are absolutely trying their hardest but not everything can be as every consumer expects. They have to make sacrifices, especially to sell a printer for under $1000. Hopefully this makes sense to you and we can move past it. I'm not here to defend them, just try and explain their side of the story.

I think the printer does include a paper like that. Explaining the information is on the SD card with the SD card reader. I'm not sure though as I haven't bought one of their newest printers.

10. John Durr

John Durr Member

11. John Durr

John Durr Member

If they hope to survive let alone become a larger company.

Then What............

Maybe a page on their website caled "The Latest news"
    Where a customer can find the latest about the printer"
    (If they have one I don't know about it, so they should make it easier to find)

I am not sure but I just might have been saved a lot of crap if someone sent me an e-mail saying to tighten the hot end. They have my info they now when I bough it. Because they mailed it to me.

I have had this printer for just over 3 weeks, spent over $700 on the printer plus over $300 on other stuff. All i have to show for it is 3 good print and a few that are ok and a lot of scrap.

I do realize it can not be easy for the person handling tech support for them. But I hope they realize how disappointing it is for the customers who spend their hard earned money .

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not that it helps, but that is better than I was doing at the 3 week mark :)

It is complicated by the fact that there is the 3D printing learning curve and then the (potential) issues with Robo3D learning curve.

13. John Durr

John Durr Member

Just purchased a E3D-V6 hot end, I say this because I decided to stay in this and this forum for the long haul (sorry guys and gals). But someone who like me purchased this from Newegg or maybe another site may return it before the 30 day return policy.

This is their most valuable asset they should promote it more. The people here who volunteer their time and knowledge to support something they care for will help keep people using their printers.

Time for me to find out more about the E3D-V6 hot end

2 people like this.
  14. Ricky_Spanish

Ricky_Spanish Member

2 people like this.
  15. Ricky_Spanish

Ricky_Spanish Member

I've been printing for a while before I got my Robo. Even without the printing learning curve, it's not at all an easy product to get started with. Hot end broke pretty much out of the box. Got the E3D installed, then had to fix several bad solder joints and shorts in the harness. Then, on the first print,the Taurino took a dive. That was probably caused by the significant amount of shorts in the harness. The extruder steps per mm was off by 20% so my test prints looked like stack of pancakes till I re-calibrated it. If I use the supplied slicing software, it starts prints 1/2" above the bed, but with my stand alone version of Cura, it does OK. I have a load of experience and, after about 3 weeks, still can't say I have as high quality of print as my delta machine will turn out. You just have to keep plugging away, and resist the urge to throw an $800 unit across the room. Lol.

2 people like this.
  16. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Everytime I hear something like that, I have to resist the urge not to fall out of my chair laughing. Were all of you on the forum for the infamous sledgehammer and dog turd printer? Some people just have way too much free cash, but it was hilarious. I'm pretty sure someone scrubbed it from the forums, but it exists somewhere on the internet I'm sure.

17. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I remember that. He broke the crap out of it. I felt so bad for the printer. It would have been good for salvage if he didn't go overboard. I wonder what he's doing these days and whether he go another printer?

I might have saved the pics. Gotta look them up.

18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It gets better :)

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm still convinced his parents bought it for him.

20. ssshake

ssshake Member

Is this the same issue? I just noticed that my hotend is leaking. But now that I understand whats happening I realized it's been doing this ever since I bought it.

I'm having fill issues as a result, dirty print and these blobs fall off every so often.

IMG_20141221_005726.jpg IMG_20141221_005731.jpg IMG_20141221_005918.jpg IMG_20141221_005920.jpg IMG_20141221_005956.jpg IMG_20141221_010001.jpg

Attached Files: