1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Honest critisim on z ribbing

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SteveDjarrell, Oct 10, 2015.

1. SteveDjarrell

SteveDjarrell Active Member

Good morning, In my quest to get my R1 printing at its best I have a set of before and after photos. I would like to know if what I am getting now is normal. I have photo one (Darth Budda, 5" tall) printed on my stock R1, it is set at .2mm layer and I used matter control for it.... kinda crappy. Photo two (Mickey Mouse 3.5" tall) was printed at .2mm layer height using S3D with support (still not happy but better), more on support later, For this I have added Teflon tape to the threaded rod and the stepper motor shaft so the coupler fits better. I have printed and installed the following, Z Smooth rod endcaps, Z axis stabilizer (snaps onto the smooth rod and goes around the threaded) and extended smooth rod supports. I am currently waiting for my parts to arrive to do the lead screw upgrade. I had a hard time getting the support material off of mickey, Anyone want to share their support settings for S3D? I can experiment but I am sure a lot of people have already done that.
    IMG_0723.JPG IMG_0724.JPG upgrade.

2. SteveDjarrell

Ok guys, I think I am very close now. After a weeks of tweeks and many modifications. Firmware change to keep power on the z axis, top end threaded rod stabilizers, E3d V6 clone hotend (by the way the one from 3dcam is actually very good. Has not clogged once and lays down better then the stock hex) Smooth rod caps to stop the wiggle, and leveling the bed side to side within to be exact, no difference past .01 and went to dual ducted 40mm fans (bridging is freaking great now)....... Oh yeah replaced one coupler with stock, have rigid couplers coming in today.... This is where I am at. Looks a lot better. Still printed at .2

Some one please tell me if they are having similar print qualities, or if this one is all I can expect, I am still working out the first layer with the new hot end IMG_0761.JPG

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@SteveDjarrell I think you are there, I can't honestly say you will get better than this with and FDM printer like the Robo (Mendel based design)

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Without the lead screw upgrade you are not likely to get better than that.
    To totally eliminate ribbing that will be required.

5. SteveDjarrell

Thanks Guys, Still plan to do the lead screw upgrade, just waiting for parts to arrive, Although my current ribbing state is quite tolerable. So I am printing the largest thing to date. it takes up half the bed and is about 4" tall. I am very happy with the sides now. I have noticed the couplers do not move at all once they advance to the next layer. I must have really leveled my bed. Before they always moved a little when the X axis was moving from one side to the other. MY solid couplers came in but I think I am going to leave it alone for a while. I can tolerate the slight ribbing now. Also my dear wife was nice enough to order me a Prometheus V2 the other day. Still not going to put it on unless this knock off e3d v6 starts giving me issues. I really can not comment enough on how well it works, however take that with a grain of salt as I am vastly inexperienced with this process. I am learning a lot for the forum members and the existing posts but nothing beat "hands on time"

Steve.

6. SteveDjarrell

Ok, did a high res print and I am pretty happy with it.[​IMG]. What ya guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you are happy then that is all that matters.

8. SteveDjarrell

Well I think I have this dialed in now. What do you guys think? Same model as my very first photo in this thread. Bone stock newbie vs upgraded and calibrated newbie..... :)[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Kelly likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Looking good.
    The printer can crate out some awesome when setup well :)