1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Hot End smoking, software reads 136 degrees

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Paul Arnold, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

I have two different hot ends and the both smoke when I run the printer. Matter control, Cura, and S3d all report the extruder temp at 135 degrees.
    No errors from any of the software. I'm assuming I'm going to find a broken wire somewhere in the loom, but I wanted to ask in case it was something someone has seen and know a quick answer to.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I have not heard any reports of this.

Smoking where?
    Does the hotend heater actually run or is it stuck at 135° even on start-up? Might just be a bad thermistor. If so and then smoking you are seeing is the hotend temp actually trying to continually increase because the firmware still believes the hotend is at 135°C

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That or a bad RAMPS board. Try disconnecting the thermistor from the RAMPS and see if it the indicated temperature changes.

4. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

The hot end continually heats up until it literally starts blowing smoke out of the tip of the nozzle. Two different hot ends do exactly the same thing, temp reads 135 or 136 as soon as the software connects to the printer. Even with the printer turned off, as soon as the software connects it reads 136 and never increases. Bed temperature is working and seems to be accurately reported. I guess I'll take the bottom off and see if pulling the thermister wire changes anything.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

With the printer powered off and the hot end not connected, I pulled the wire from the indicated position which was my best guess as to what was the thermistor wire. I got the error message that is in the second image. I plugged the wire back in, and again, with the hot end disconnected it went back to reading the 136 degrees and no error message. Plugging in the hot end had no effect, still get the 136 degree reading and no error message. I think I am more confused that before. If it was a fried board, I would expect unplugging the thermistor wire would have no effect? Now I'm thinking more along the lines of bad wiring?

20180217_094115.jpg

Screenshot 2018-02-17 09.42.14.png

7. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

So I had the brilliant idea to plug a thermistor directly into the ramps board, and it's now reporting 19.6 degrees, so I am thinking definately wiring problem. I'm going to run some new wires up to the hot end and see what happens. Probably won't be for a while but cross your fingers for me.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep sounds like your wiring is shorted good job, just watch it close to ensure that fixes it. Dont want that hotend heating up and not reporting because it wont error out(scary)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

Thanks for all your help once again people, I find this forum to be most helpful. Now I will let you in on the 136 degree temperature reading...
    When you plug your thermistor into the cooling fan plug, and plug your cooling fan (the work on, not the hot end one), you get a reading from the resistance of the fan of 136 degrees. I started off at the board, and fished the wire out of the loom, but when I got up to the top end I realized my idiocy. Now my thermister has a nice new wire. On one of my hot ends, the thermistor went bad, when I put this one in service, and got the error message, I assumed I had plugged the wires into the wrong location so I switched them, no more error message, but also no more printing. Of course replacing the hot end with a working one didn't solve the problem because I plugged all the wires into the same plugs.
    So remember for the future, 136 degrees means wires switched.. I am not quite at the point where I can laugh at myself, maybe tomorrow.
    Once again, thanks for the help!!!

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I really wish they had used different plugs for the two connections. This is not the first (nor the last) time that has happened :)

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.