1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Hotend not reaching higher temperatures

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by David Carter, Jan 4, 2019.

1. David Carter

David Carter Member

So I was about to print some PETg, and set my temp a little hotter. The hot end maxed out at 226 C. I was able to print ABS at 230 a few months ago, yes it was summer and the room was warmer, but not significantly.

I also had issues upgrading to the latest Marlin as the hot end wouldn't reheat to the target temperature after turning the fan on. I thought it was a software issue, but now I'm thinking hardware.

So what should I be checking? The HE is getting hot, just not hot enough and there doesn't seem to be any issues reporting temps so I'm thinking not the thermistor?

R1+
    E3Dv6
    Stock firmware and Marlin 1.1.9 (tried both)
    Anything else?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

36Heater cartridges go can go bad, it is an easy and cheap fix.

Something like these from Amazon would work

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Even more importantly the E3D heater core is a mere 25w :) The ones @WheresWaldo linked are 40w -- they will heat better, quicker, faster (choose your adjective). Oh, and cheap ... buy several they all eventually wear out.

4. David Carter

David Carter Member

Ok. I've ordered some replacements. I'll update when I know the results. Thanks!

Geof likes this.