1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to change the nozzle?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Kaan, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Kaan

Kaan Member

Am I right in assuming that the late Robo3D's use the hexagon hot end?

I'm thinking of getting some spare nozzle's as I will attempt printing XT-CF20 soon: http://www.reprap-3d-printer.com/product/1234568318-hexagon-1-75mm-nozzle-0-4mm

However, as I look at the nozzle of my printer, It doesn't look like I could just twist it off and remove it, the end of the hotend is covered in a black material, the nozzle seems pretty integrated

Am i missing something?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That 'black material' is a rubber boot that holds the thermistor in place (since on the hexagon they didn't--for some reason--use a screw).. It will come off and you can replace the nozzle.

3. Kaan

Kaan Member

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not that I know, however if you find one for E3D they are apparently the same/interchangeable..

Kaan likes this.
  5. Kaan

Kaan Member

Good to know, because almost all the nozzles I find are for the E3D

6. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

You just can't use the hexagon nozzles on the E3D but you can use E3D nozzles on the hexagon

Kaan and Mike Kelly like this.
  7. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

I'm curious... why can't the hexagon nozzles be used on the E3D?

8. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

The hexagon nozzles are longer

9. Kaan

Kaan Member

I had a hunch that was why

In that case, Wouldn't putting an E3D nozzle on the Hexagon possibly cause jams, and fill that extra area with melted filament and render the hotend incapable of receiving a regular length nozzle again?

It would have been great if nozzle dimensions were advertised by makers and sellers, I think they are mostly M6 screws, but it's unclear what length they are etc.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

AFAIK nobody has had that happen. The melt zone in the two nozzles is similar, probably close enough.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

This is backwards. The hexagon nozzles are shorter by about 1.5mm

No this won't happen. You just leave the extra room on the heatbreak side, not the nozzle side

Kaan likes this.
  12. Kaan

Kaan Member

Thanks for the info, that makes much more sense, otherwise the nozzle-emptiness would screw things up IMO

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm not really sure what you mean by nozzle emptyness, but having the tip of the nozzle further from the heater block would drop it's temp a bit. Probably negligible amounts but still

14. Kaan

Kaan Member

By the way, my heater section of the hot-end moves freely, is it normal?

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Nope, Tighten the set screw on it.

16. Kaan

Kaan Member

It seems, hotend is tights, however the filament guide moves freely, basically, when I move the hotend, the filament turns with it, however, it's just a Z-axis movement, not a X/Y wobble, is it normal?

I failed to remove the nozzle by the way, didn't push it too much, 8-hexagon tool couldn't grab it

17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm not following.

18. Kaan

Kaan Member

(A) So the hotend wiggles on the Z-axis, however it's tightly connected to it's rod, so the rod moves within the cooler section, with this rod, the filament moves too, there is no visible way to tighten this assembly

----------

(B) This might be related, I was having PLA jams, after making the thermistor push into the heating block, the reading values started to increase, but with these values, jams started to increase too

So I think I have a heat cycle related issue, should I just leave the thermistor to be free inside the heater block, like in the original hexagon way?
    (Currently, it pushes into the heater block a bit with the aid of a zip-tie to the heater's cable, wrapped with kapton tape, previously it was able to move freely)
    (I'm 99% sure it's a heat cycle related issue, because once I clear the tip with the aid of a wire, the remaining PLA just drips like fluid)

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You'd probably come across more clearly with notated pictures

20. Kaan

Kaan Member

Here is the situation, the blue parts move, everything is fastened, the filament moves with the blue parts, so only the cooling block stays in place
    hexagon.jpg

------

I managed to complete some prints with PLA by setting the temp to 240C, and 255C with bronzefill

All my jams seems to be on the tip, when I nudge the tip with a wire, the clog just disappears

With these information, I think my thermistor isn't reading accurate values, by setting 240C, I probably achieved ~190C by my guess - regardless of the hotend issues, I think the issue is with the Thermistor

So my PLA jams are due to the temperature being low, at least this is my theory

If I was in US, I would have definitely purchased an E3DV6 by now