1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered How to make supports work

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Louis Tiger, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Louis Tiger

Louis Tiger Member

Whenever I try to use supports, they become a part of the model and don't break off easily. What can be done to fix that?

2. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

What program are you using? Really Simplify3d is the only one that can truly print easily removable supports

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

3. Louis Tiger

Louis Tiger Member

MatterControl (until I get Simplify3D)

4. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

You can try to increase the air gap on the supports in matter control but I never had success with it. Cura was a little better but not much

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I've been using Cura for over a week and had a couple prints that required support. I didn't have any issue removing it. I just take a needle nose pliers and it pops right off. I haven't seen any examples of Simplify 3d and supports to see if the $150 is worth it or not. One thing I take care to do is to look at the layer view and make sure that the orientation of the part to the angle of the support and the path the extruder will work best for support and for removal. The only thing I wish was better is for outside structure that needs support come out a bit ugly at times. Also, I am no expert in printing with this printer yet. I have been learning a lot in the past month with experimenting. I'd like to hear more about others experiences with supports and examples of successes with Simplify3d and other software to compare against.

6. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

It's worth it.... Not just for the supports but the slicer engine works much better as well

robert sanchez likes this.
  7. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

I can vouch for Simplify3d, it has been worth every penny.

8. danzca6

I wish they had a 30 day trial. I send all my models through netfabb for any repair before printing. Would the repair in simplify3d replace that? Don't want to make this a simplify 3d thread sorry.

I see the supports on their site look pretty slick. Does anyone have a picture of what an outside surface looks like that was an overhang needing support. If it is cleaner than Cura, that would save some post print work.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It might. There are a number of repair tools for the models in Simplify3D, but I am not certain what they do compared to what netfab does. You might ask them (their forum or via email). I can say we have used it to repair models...

If you search the forums you will find a picture I posted after first getting Simplify where I printed a ball in mid-air. So that (clearly) had to have a fair amount of support. :)
    You can see the print when done and the surface after I removed them and durned if I could tell they had even been there.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

#10 mark tomlinson, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Mike Kelly likes this.
  11. danzca6

Wow. The example of the ball and the SS Enterprise are pretty darn impressive. I also read further in the thread that if you contact them they might give a limited time trial. I've really had to put a lot of thought and trial and error to get Cura supports working to a decent level. If they can make an outside surface look flawless, then yeah, that is worth the money. Thanks for sharing that example.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The nice thing is these require no effort other than to turn on the generation of support material.
    Makes it brainless. That and it is simply the faster slicer I have ever used.

One memorable model I had took almost 30 minutes to slice with Repetier and about 1 with this.
    Granted, it was fairly complex, but jeebus.

13. danzca6

Sounds like there is a built in profile already for the Robo R1 with autolevel and the beta. So setup should get you in the ball park. Can you select a part of the model and force support just for that section and not the whole model? I am thinking of when you have holes where the dimension matters because you will be joining to another part.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, you can manually specify where to add extra supports (or remove them) or manually add them all if you want.

15. danzca6

That is a huge advantage over MatterControl or Cura. You might have me sold. :)

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Watch their video tutorials if you want to get an idea of how it works (still sux with no trial version).

17. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Disclaimer: fully supported bridging/ cantelivered horizantal sections can look not quite perfect but the support breaks away like magic.

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Don't forget that @Printed Solid sells simplify3d and he'll slice you a sample print if you want to test it out :)

19. Chris Harris

Chris Harris New Member

I know its been awhile since the last reply but if you still havent bought simplify 3D and are still using matter control, when using matter slice under the support settings there is a box you can uncheck that mentions printing an interface layer, without this interface layer matter control can print fantastically easy to remove supports :)

My air gap for the z direction on the support settings is 0, with these settings the supports essentially become very thin columns that contact the undercuts and can be snapped off really easily