1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to update firmware

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ammulder, Feb 7, 2017.

1. ammulder

ammulder Member

I notice the Utilities screen has an "Update" option.

I went there, and after a moment it says:

RoboOS
    Installed: 1.0.3
    Available: 1.1.0
    [Update]

However, I cannot get out of this screen without powering off the C2. I've tried a thousand times pushing the "Update" button and the back "<" at the top left. I've tried pressing every part of the screen. Firmly. Nothing happens.

I also tried going to Settings / Firmware Updater in OctoPrint, and it chugs for a while and then says Unable to retrieve current firmware value from printer, or something along those lines. It gives me the option to upload a file, but I don't have a file.

Anyone know how I can update the C2 from 1.0.3 to 1.1.0?

2. ammulder

ammulder Member

OK, I am now looking at this:

http://help.robo3d.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2627129-firmware-update-with-arduino
    ...and this...
    https://github.com/Robo3D/Marlin/releases
    ...and this...
    https://github.com/Robo3D/Marlin/tree/C2

I have a lot of questions:
    1. is any of this what the LCD is calling "RoboOS"?
    2. Is the "beta" release on the release page a 1.1.0 beta release?
    3. If so, is that what the LCD is calling "Available: 1.1.0"? (There's no "beta" indicator on the LCD)
    4. The install page says you should download a ZIP file with the firmware and expand it into the Arduino sketchbooks directory. But the releases page has either a HEX file or a source zip. Which do I want to put in the sketchbooks directory?
    5. The C2 page says "update your start GCODE to be [a long list]". Where in that process above do you update your start GCODE?

3. ammulder

ammulder Member

Hmm... Next I found the "Firmware Update Wizards" under "wizards".

I was able to install the "beta" hex file using that wizard by putting it on a USB stick. It did something and restarted.

Now unless I'm crazy, the touch screen does seem a little more responsive (which was one of the improvements listed on the GitHub page). So maybe it worked? I can't find any way to determine what "firmware version" I'm on.

The "Utilities / Update" screen still says I'm on RoboOS 1.0.3 and 1.1.0 is available -- so maybe RoboOS is different from the firmware? The update screen still locks up the machine if I hit the "Update" button, though I've now discovered that if I hit the back caret before Update, I can get out with no update.

Anyway, I think I'm back to the question at the top -- how do I update RoboOS to 1.1.0?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @ammulder unfortunantly none of us "old timers" that frequent the forum have a C2 or any experience with them so we wont be of much help unless another C2 owner can chime in. I'd suggest calling Robo directly or emailing them or setting up a skype with one of their technicians to resolve your issue.

I know not helpful but hopefully it puts you on the right track to getting what you need.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The 'beta' is the oldest robo printer model so hopefully you are talking abouyt something else.

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

:D lol I'm lumping me into that category with ya buddy...even though no beta :D:oops:

7. ammulder

ammulder Member

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Great, another place they stage firmware and they use confusing names there too

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I notice there is a comment section :

+For Robo C2 users, replace your START GCODE with this:

G21
    G90
    G92 E0
    M106 S0
    G28
    M420 S1 Z3
    G29
    G1 X1 Y1 F7200
    M109 S210
    G1 Z0.15
    G1 X100 E15.0 F500
    G1 Z5 F300
    G92 E0
    G1 F7200

Not sure how important or accurate that is :)

10. ammulder

ammulder Member

I put that into OctoPrint, though I assume that would only be used if OctoPrint slices the model, so I probably I need to put it into Cura too. I can try that. It wasn't much of a change from what was already in OctoPrint: the main difference I noticed was the M420 line wasn't in there before.

11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I just looked over the source, It seems that it is 1.1.0 RC8 for the C2, it now includes and enabled Bilinear auto-leveling. Robo's naming convention is just plain confusing, Before using the hex file, I would download the source and see what the heck they changed since, even though it was produced 11 days ago, there don't seem to be any commits in their GITHUB that support this version.

I did a deeper dive into the source and is it just plain too hard to put a comment on the end of every line you change in configuration.h? There are changes and one added file to define the pin assignments on Robo's flavor of the RAMPS board for the C2, even that file doesn't attribute the author or modifier.

#11 WheresWaldo, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Agreed :)