1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved I give up......

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by shootertim, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I can save you some time on the raft issue.
    don't use them.

In late 2013, Makerbot released a revision of makerware that just produced very nice removable rafts. That is one of the places where their software really excels. AFAIK nobody else (other than Afinia who they chose to sue...) is producing a decent removable raft.

2. shootertim

shootertim New Member

DANG......wrong answer. But sometimes, the wrong answer is the only answer......which may be the case this time.

I'll play around with the air gap some......yes, I am spoiled by the rafts that the makerware produces. Wish i could use that program for the ROBO 3d

3. Printed Solid

Staff Member

:) I like how their raft allows me to be lazy sometimes, but you do get a much better surface finish on the glass.
    The robo bed temp reads lower than reality, so try bumping your temp up a bit more than you would on your FF. I sometimes go up to 60. The aquanet on plain glass works great, but I've experimented with 3Dlac with incredible results. Full volume parts with very little warping and large parts with none. I've got some buildtak on the way as well to experiment with.

4. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

What is 3Dlac? I've been using gluestick at 110 for ABS, which mostly works very well, but occasionally get some warping and still have trouble with full plate prints.

5. Printed Solid

Staff Member

It's an aerosol mix made for print bed adhesion. From the smell and the look on the plate, I'm pretty confident that it is not just repackaged hairspray, but I have no idea what the active ingredients are.

I've used it with PLA and XT with great results. I no longer print ABS, but have heard from others that it works well for that as well. In Canada, you can get it from Voxel Factory, but I don't know if there is a US reseller right now.

FYI, glue stick isn't a particularly good solution for ABS. Aquanet hairspray and ABS slurry will both work better for you.

6. James Harry

With aquanet, do you spray/clean every print, or does it last a bit? The one positive of glue is that I can keep it down for 10ish prints before cleaning and reapplying. I think I'd be willing to trade off for 100% guaranteed stick, especially for large prints. :)

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I don't clean very often. I wait until it is starting to get a bit of buildup and then wash it all with alcohol and re-apply a base coat.

Printed Solid likes this.
  8. James Harry

Great, thanks, Mark!

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Like @Printed Solid it has been a while since I printed ABS (and I have no future plans) but I did buy a bottle of that to test.

11. James Harry

Thanks. Are you also printing a lot in XT? I've tried PETG and had a lot of difficulty with jamming at the extruder, with a wide variety of temperatures.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have used exactly one spool of that and not even the entire spool :)
    I have a couple of spools of regular PET I got from @Printed Solid when he was clearing it out and have used about 1 spool of that. Nice stuff, but finicky.

Just haven't really needed that material. Mostly PLA or PLA variants (like Woodfil, etc.) are mostly what I use, but I am starting to use more SemiFlex. That is cool stuff.

I care not about the color when I an choosing a filament it is all about the material properties. We started off on ABS and printed a lot of that before we realized that we really didn't need the properties (or the hassle) it provided and since then the PLA variants have made it even less a need.

13. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I've printed a ton of XT on the stock robo with no issues.