1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered I have all the problems. Anyone have solutions?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by NJB, Apr 20, 2018.

1. NJB

NJB New Member

I have been fighting with this printer for weeks. I can't seem to get it to do anything right. I have encountered all of the common problems I read about with 3D printing, but I haven't been able to solve any of them. I've had warping, bed adhesion problems, skipping, ringing, elephant feet, and it's all been inconsistent to boot. There's been a couple times where I manage to print a single Lego brick twice in a row with the same settings and gotten the same result. Other times, I print the same thing twice and they come out totally different. I've attached a couple pictures showcasing the different things that have failed. I have not been able to print anything successfully aside from a couple Legos that I think came out OK by random chance. Can anyone take a look at the pictures and offer suggestions? Here's what I've been using for settings, etc:

Printing on blue tape
    Hatchbox white PLA
    Modified fan shroud
    Repetier with Slic3r
    Fan off for 1st layer, then 75% after that
    1st layer temp 215C
    other layers 200C
    bed temp 60C
    Layer heights 0.1-0.3
    Bed leveled
    Using auto level and z offset as recommended in forums
    retraction 2 mm at 40 mm/s

I've tried adjusting temperatures, Z offset, cooling, speeds, retraction, using brims, skirts.

I'm really at a loss here. Is there something wrong with the extruder? A friend of mine just got a Prusa i3 Mk3 and it's worked perfectly right out of the box. I can't seem to get the Robo to work for me. Any help is appreciated.

Photo Apr 20, 8 49 32 PM.jpg Photo Apr 20, 8 50 57 PM.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You are printing on too hot a bed for starters. You do realize that PLA can be done on a room temperature bed? The heat is for extra adhesion if you need it and that is pretty hot for PLA. Your last picture shows the bottom layers warping ... from heat (so does the first picture...). Heck 215 is rather hot for extrusion too... try playing with that number a bit. Lower is probably a start

There are some other minor issues,. perhaps over extrusion, but cure the heat one first.

The inconsistencies may be due to mechanical issues -- loose belt or a loose drive gear are the common ones.

Geof likes this.
  3. NJB

NJB New Member

I was trying a non-heated bed for a while with no success until I had some very limited success with the bed heated. I tried this same spool holder print with the bed reduced to 40C. I also cut the extrusion temp back to 210 for the first layer, trying to follow your advice. The first layer wasn't great, but it was good enough to let the print run. Unfortunately it popped off the bed in the middle of the night and warped like crazy.

First layer:
    Photo Apr 21, 9 55 32 AM.jpg

Warping:
    Photo Apr 21, 9 54 49 AM.jpg

I tried to print a 1inch cube with the bed at room temp. Here's the first layer from that:
    Photo Apr 21, 10 08 03 AM.jpg

My thought was Z offset was set too close to the bed. Does that sound reasonable?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sometimes warping with PLA can be bad filament, but I suggest you drop your temperatures and try closer to 190. If that is too low raise it in 5 degree increments, no more.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Show us what you have for the autoleveling Z offset in your startup GCode (the M565 command)

7. NJB

NJB New Member

Here's my startup Gcode.

G28 ; home all axes
    M565 Z-0.9; set z offset
    G29; auto level
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle

I'll try setting temp to 190 and do a few different Z offsets.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. NJB

NJB New Member

I started with the Robo3D brand filament and had warping issues with a 1inch cube. I bought a spool of Hatchbox just because that seems to be fairly widely used, but the warping issue remains.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The warping I see in your pictures is likely due to too much heat. This is why I suggested lowering the bed and the nozzle temperatures.

10. NJB

NJB New Member

I tried 190C and 195C with a few different Z offsets. None were good. I would say a z offset of -1.1 looked best.

190C, Z-0.9:
    190_zoffset09.jpg

190C, Z-1.0:
    190_zoffset10.jpg

190C, Z-1.1:
    190_zoffset11.jpg

190C, Z-1.2:
    190_zoffset12.jpg

195C, Z-1.0:
    195_zoffset10.jpg

195C, Z-1.1:
    195_zoffset11.jpg

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

-1.1 looks good, but still looks too hot.
    Did you print a temperature tower?

Something like this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2493504/#files

Notice how that starts at 170 for pla :)
    Every printer is different and many spools are different.

12. NJB

NJB New Member

Just finished the temperature tower. There wasn't a huge difference between the temperatures until it just totally failed at 185. I'd say 190 through 200 looked best, but I wouldn't say they were good. It just doesn't seem to be consistent. The first layer actually came out really good at 210.

Photo Apr 21, 4 13 11 PM.jpg

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Out of those 210 does seem to be your best bet for that filament (maybe 195) but start with 210.
    Now with it set at 210, calibrate the extruder to get rid of any over/under extrusion you have.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You have to solve it one problem at a time :)

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Once you get the extruder calibrated run the temperature test again.

16. NJB

NJB New Member

My old steps/mm was 723. My new one is 754. I changed it by adding M92 E754 to my startup Gcode. Now when I print, the extruder doesn't actually lay anything down. I can see the stepper motor is turning super slow. I reset it back to the original 723, and it's still doing it. I must have screwed something up...

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you try to reset the firmware that way you need to do more work (I usually just edit he source and reload it manually, but whatever works for you).

You need to open a GCode terminal and do this:
    M502;
    and then an
    M500;

The rules are this:

==== EEPROM GCodes ====
    M500 Store current settings in EEPROM for the next startup or M501.
    M501 Read all parameters from EEPROM. (Or, undo changes.)
    M502 Reset current settings to defaults, as set in Configurations.h. (Follow with M500 to reset the EEPROM too.)
    So after firmware is fixed you need the M502 and an M500 at some point for them to work.

18. NJB

NJB New Member

Status update. I recompiled the firmware with the new extruder steps/mm value. No noticeable difference in print quality. I also ran out of blue tape and bought some more on Amazon. Couldn't get anything to stick to it at all. I decided to ditch the tape and switch to putting glue on the glass bed. That seems to have taken care of the curling problem. Then I started printing more stuff, that is more than just cubes and temperature towers. Has some pretty serious z ribbing going on (picture attached). There's substantial wobble in the lead screws. I decided to print some of the Z brackets that are on thingiverse. I printed one, and then I went to print the second one, all of a sudden I can't get the extruder to get anywhere near the bed. It just stops about 2" above the surface. I did an M119 and it shows that the Z switches are "open," so it's not that. I also recompiled the firmware, so it's not that either. What gives?

Attached Files:

19. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Stock firmware values for acceleration are completely out of whack. they are simply set to high, you can experiement with those values before making changes in the firmware and recompiling by using M201 and/or M204.

20. NJB

NJB New Member

So you're saying adjusting acceleration might fix the ribbing? That's a good thing to try. I'm kind of dead in the water though since I can't get the extruder anywhere near the bed.