1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

I'm making a Robo box....

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Samuel Shannon, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Samuel Shannon

Samuel Shannon New Member

So, to some this may seem a silly question. I'm not an engineer and I have not yet built my own 3d printer. I have had my R1 for a little over 2 years and I have a delta on the way. I work in the 3d printing industry doing QC and QA as a day job and I'm an avid diy'er by evening (and often long into the night lol). Right now I'm cad'ing a box to enclose my R1 to try to utilize some more difficult polymers than just pla (think like nylon and maybe something like ultem 1010 or 9085). As I was drawing the cad, I am wondering if I wanted to increase my build volume, would all I really need to do is get longer M8 smooth rods for X,Y, and Z, longer threaded rods for increased Z height and longer belts to account for the larger travel movement, larger area build platform, and update the max X, Y, Z area in firmware/software? Am I missing something or would this work?

I'm wanting to try to do something like a 15 inch cube for build volume.

#1 Samuel Shannon, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof and Samuel Shannon like this.
  3. Samuel Shannon

Cool, yeah, I'm looking to almost gut the Robo and have the electronics under a "Stage" that has ample airflow and the build space above similar to how the set up is now... just larger. It'll look something like the pic I am attaching.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good luck.
    Moved this to the PROJECTS sub-forum, you can update this as you go :)

5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Paging @donhuevo to repost the photo of his gutting/rebuilding of his Robo printer.

Probably the best route to take is to emulate what he did with his printer.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

If you're going to go larger on Y I would advise stepping up to at least 10mm rods. Or redesign the Y axis to more of a Taz 5 design.

Good Luck!

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  7. Samuel Shannon

Yeah I was going to go to 10mm rods to accommodate the added weight. I'm still in the I'm trying to decide what material I really want to use phase....