1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

In Your Opinion, Whats your favorite wood filament brand

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Jesse Leventhal, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Jesse Leventhal

Jesse Leventhal New Member

I'm interested in picking up some wood filament but i'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of choices and the mixed opinions that people have. anybody have good success with any on in particular?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Colorfabb Woodfill and Laywood 3D are excellent.

Jesse Leventhal likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ive used hatchbox wood pla... I get some good prints but its troublesome :) i will buy colorfabb going forward

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I've found the best wood filaments to be a bit tricky.

I've used a bunch of brands and found you either get wood colored plastic that prints really easily (i.e. very little actual wood content) or really good stuff that is a bit finicky.

In my shop, I carry colorFabb woodfill, bamboofill, and corkfill, Polymaker Polywood, and 3D Fuel Algae PLA. I lump these all into 'wood' even though they're not all wood based because they're all going for the same effect.

My personal favorite has always been colorFabb woodfill. It takes a stain, can be sanded reasonably well, and smells like wood while printing. The grain of the wood hides the layer lines, which is really cool. However, if you print too slow or too hot, the wood dries out in the nozzle and clogs. So, colorFabb recommends layers of 200 microns or more. I get around this by running a larger diameter nozzle (typically a 0.8mm) which allows me to print at smaller layer height and still maintain a high enough flow rate to avoid clogging. It is generally color stable, so you don't really get the tree ring effects you get with laywoo3d and bamboofill.

After this, I'd say that cork is becoming a favorite of mine. It won't really take stain, but has a neat texture and isn't as prone to clogging.

If you're in the US, we've got samples of all of the colorFabb filaments here http://printedsolid.com/search?q=sample If not, you can order samples from a few other sources like globalfsd

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I can vote for the algae and bamboo from him, both are amazing and print well. Wood fill from there is my next purchase

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ummmm. Cork...

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok wood fill and cork :)

8. Jesse Leventhal

Jesse Leventhal New Member

Hrm the cork sounds very interesting. I may have to give that a go, along with woodfill. Printed solid you have my sale :p

Printed Solid likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You won't regret it, @Printed Solid is great. I'm doing most / all my business with him and getting great support (goes above and beyond for his customers). Might want to consider a larger nozzle for ease of printing. He sells them as well and can probably suggest the correct one for your need.

Printed Solid likes this.