1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Inconsistent Z dimension

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rui Teixeira, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Rui Teixeira

Rui Teixeira New Member

Hi,

I bought a Robo 3D R1 last year and it works well until some days ago when I start to have some problems with the Z axis increment. I found out that the flexible connection between the thread bar and the steper was loosen and for this reason the Z dimension didn't move according to the instructions.

I correct that but it seems that prints were never 100% good after this moment mostly because of problems with Z axis. I print the calibration cube to check the printing dimensions accuracy and I found out that the z dimension is significantly smaller than it should (8.41mm instead of 10mm)

I read in forum many type of possibilities for that problem but none of then solves it. the print starts well and suddenly the increment is smaller or it just doesn't increment and the nozzle touch the part in some layers. I am attaching a picture with one calibration cube printed, with Z dimension shorter than it should, and another one to which I stop the print in the moment the nozzle start touching the cube.

Does anyone already face some similar problem? Any idea about some solution that I may try?

Thank you,
    Rui Teixeira

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Did you by chance re-compile and upload the firmware?

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. Rui Teixeira

Rui Teixeira New Member

Hi, no I simply install the MatterControl and when it shows me the information that an update was available I install the version 1.5 About the firmware I didn't change anything

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Sorry, I can't help here, I have only used MatterControl a couple of times when I got my printer a year ago. Don't even know what is in it anymore.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

However you did it I think it sounds like you have the incorrect firmware installed.
    There are very different settings for Z steps/MM between the various Robo models.