1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Installing New Lead Screws (No more couplers)(Instructions not finished)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by jbigler1986, Apr 9, 2015.

1. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

So here we go. I was having z ribbing/z artifacts on my prints. I tried everything that Ziggy suggested and that didn't solve my problems. So I finally broke down and bought new steppers with rods that went straight into the stepper motor to avoid issues with a coupler. These are the ones I ordered http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Screw-Stepper-Printer-RepRap/dp/B00JTSEFQY . You need to order 2 as there are 2 Z stepper motors on the Robo.
    You will need to purchase 4 M2 x 12mm Bolts and 4 nuts for the autolevel switches. Also 2 M3 x 20mm bolts to attach the lead screw nut to the adapter.
    Very first thing we need to do is print "2" lead nut adapters that we will attach to the lead nut from your new steppers you just bought. LINK: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:764780/#files

First thing you need to do is remove the case. There are 4 screws. [​IMG]

Before removing the case you need to cut the zip tie holding the wiring on the top of the case.
    [​IMG]

After removing the case your Robo will look like this
    [​IMG]

Next we need to remove the whole x carriage. You might have a cap on the top of your Z axis smooth rod that needs to be taken off before you remove the x carriage. Once you remove the cap just lift the carriage up and off of the rods.
    Next we need to remove the 4 screws holding the steppers in place.
    [​IMG]

You can then carefully pull the stepper out from the bottom on the case. Leave the stepper plugged into the ramps. No reason to unplug it.

You will need to remove the bottom cover of the stepper you just removed and the new stepper you purchased. There as 4 screws holding the bottom cover on as seen in the picture below. Remove all 4 from all 4 steppers you have. (2 stock ones and 2 you just bought).
    [​IMG]

It will take a little force to remove the cover as there are magnets inside the stepper. Once you take the cover off it will look like this (yours might look a little different but don't worry it's the same concept)
    [​IMG]

Now in order to remove the stock rods we need to loosen the bottom screw on the coupler as seen in the picture below.
    [​IMG]

Once the screw is removed (or loosened enough) the whole rod and coupler will then slide off of the shaft. It will look like the picture below.
    [​IMG]

Now we need to remove the shaft/gear that is inside the core as seen in the picture below. To do that just simply push down on the shaft and it should slide out. (may take a little force as there are magnets holding it together)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next we need to remove the rod from the new steppers you just purchased. Just repeat the steps from above except there is no coupler. So after removing the bottom cover just push the rod out. There is a bearing that goes on the top of the new rod so make sure you get that out too. (it might come out with the rod when you push it out). You can see the bearing in the picture below.
    [​IMG]

Now to assemble the parts. We will use the bottom cover from the new stepper you bought and the top cover from the old stepper.
    First take make sure that you have the bearing on rod like in the picture below
    [​IMG]
    Next insert the rod through the top cover like shown in the picture below
    [​IMG]

Then insert the rod and gear assembly into the motor. Make sure the motor has the wires on the bottom. Insert it like shown in the picture above. You shouldn't have the wire connector since we are using the stock motors.
    Next make sure the bearing is in the bottom cover. Put the bottom cover on from the new stepper and secure it all together with the 4 long screws from the old steppers.
    Next slide the new steppers that you just assembled back into the Robo. Secure them in place with the 4 screws like show in the picture below:
    [​IMG]

Almost done. Just a few more steps to go.
    Next we need to remove the lead nut from the rod and flip it around so the flat base is on the top. Screw it back onto the threaded rod.
    Next get the adapters that we printed at the start of this guide. Using one M3 x 20mm bolt attach the adapter to the lead nut. One it's attached and the 2 parts are flat against each other secure it more by super glue or hot glue. Be careful not to get any on the threaded rod. Let it sit for about an hour before touching it allowing it enough time dry.
    Next we need to attach the auto level switches to the new adapter using the 4 M2 x 12mm nuts and bolts.
    [​IMG]

#1 jbigler1986, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Phenom3030 and Mike Kelly like this.
  2. Robb

Robb Member

WOW! Very detailed. Some of the photos were not showing up. Do you mind reporting the photos that didn't show up?

I plan on doing this upgrade this weekend.

3. Robb

Robb Member

Also will this work with the auto level printers? Not sure the new lead nut adapters will work with the auto level.

4. jbigler1986

Yes it works with the autolevel. If you look at my printer thread you will see pictures of my printer with them installed.

5. Robb

Robb Member

Thanks man. Working on it this weekend. Any luck with the photos that wouldn't load above? Do you have them hosted somewhere else?

6. jbigler1986

Um they are working for me. Send me a PM if you need them and I will get them to you

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, there are a number of them that don't show for me.
    1/4 of them or close.

8. Robb

Robb Member

Why not change the whole Nama motor to the new one that came with the new lead screw? Does it run at a different speed.

My old motor is a completely different size than my new one so I can't swap the lead screw with the old one.

Also does this require any changes to the firmware?