1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Is it possible to use the same auto-level dynamics for multiple prints? (+precision advice please :)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Kaan, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Kaan

Kaan Member

I'm using Simplify 3D, currently printing some 60% keyboard plates in 3 pieces: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/0ltTy8pUbdb-plate-6c2

The auto level is usually off by 0.1mm, this causes the plates to be randomly uneven

I usually print 0.05mm-0.1mm into the Z-axis for a perfect surface finnish, this auto-level mistake causes some parts to show the printing lines, while most of the sections adopt the blue painter's tape's texture (also, the switches of the keyboard are very slightly crooked, luckily it's not noticeable with the keycaps on)

Now my question is, can I auto-level + print once, then disable the auto-level G-code - and in that case, will the machine use the previous readings?
    (+ Bonus: will this work if I restart the machine too, I'm guessing there is no persistent storage tho, so it won't work)

I would appreciate any other precision advice too, currently I bumped the auto-level grid to 4, I think it improved things, I might try 5 or something, but I have a hunch the readings are randomly off, which causes random results, bumping the grid to 5 or 6 might even make things worse, by amplifying this random error

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

G28 commands erase all G29 values

3. janot928

janot928 Active Member

is it possible to do a G28 X0 Y0 mid print?

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Probably, but why would you want to?

5. janot928

janot928 Active Member

to incert stuff inside the print (bolts or nuts) or just get the print head out of the way

6. daniel871

If you had the LCD controller, you could navigate to and hit the "Change Filament" command and it would do that for you.

If you were careful not to bump the axes, you could drop your bolts/nuts into the print (assuming you're doing this in infill gaps) and re-insert your filament then hit the Resume Print command when you were done.

The "Change Filament" command has the printer finish the current program lines, then pause, retract the filament enough to spit it out of the Wade extruder and move the head out of the way while you are supposedly reloading a different filament. If you don't change the actual filament though it should work as a way to drop in the stuff you're wanting to drop in without messing up the print.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  7. janot928

janot928 Active Member

do you know if it´s possible to create a Gcode (like G29 or G28) that would do that ?

8. daniel871

Not that I'm aware of.

I'm not even really sure how you'd go about making the program pause mid-print like you want to. There are Tool Change code sections in Simplify3D, but I haven't played with it enough to figure out how you'd instigate it as part of a print job so you can do it.

I'm pretty sure most people just wait for an opportunity to drop the bolts/nut/whatever into the print and do it while the carriage head is at the other end of the print or whatever.

#8 daniel871, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

M600 is pause for Filament Change, The RepRap wiki is down so I can't verify if it is supported by Marlin.

In between layers you could insert a G1 X10 Y10 that would move the extruder to the front left corner then an M600 to wait. Problem is I wouldn't know how to restart the printer (M600 requires user input) without an LCD.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  10. daniel871

Also I don't know if M600 will do the movements or if that's something specific to the LCD controller's firmware bits.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

daniel871 likes this.
  12. Kaan

Kaan Member

Wouldn't a pause, + move X/Y, + do whatever you want, +move_back -X,-Y, continue work?

With simplify 3d I used to pause, move the head up, change the filament, move the head back in and continue, it worked flawlessly, yet last time I tried it I couldn't make it work, but since I was pretty busy I didn't inspect why, might have been my mistake

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That works for me. Pause, lift, swap filament, extrude to prime, lower, unpause.

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Kaan that will only work if you have a console connected to the printer. He wanted something he could put in G-code.

So the real answer is there is no way to do it standalone, since there doesn't seem to be a timer or a way to accept input other than PC or LCD in G-Code.

15. janot928

janot928 Active Member

well i did a bit of trial and error and what i found:

you can pause the print, release the motors, move the printhead wherever you whant, (just be carefull to not move the Z axis) do the things you whant to do then just enter G28 X0 Y0 and resume the print. It worked fine with me many time

Mike Kelly likes this.
  16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

This makes sense because the X0 and Y0 would only reset those two coordinates, the Z would remember the G29 values.

Then it's just a matter of how repeatable is the X and Y home positions.

17. janot928

janot928 Active Member

the bigest prob is the X axis since it can move around a bit but it hasn't cause any issue until now