1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Issue to insert the PLA into the extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sev7en, May 30, 2015.

1. sev7en

sev7en Member

Good afternoon,
    I unboxed the Robo3D and soon I will publish the unboxing to present myself and my new jewel to this great community but I am not able to insert the PLA into the extruder... I tried many times in several way but it doesn't go down...
    I see the tutorial but sincerely it is not clear and I don't understand where to put it. Can you kindly help me?

I am attaching a picture of the current status.

Thank you,

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Remove the two spring loaded screws so that you can lower the hinge on the Gregs Wade extruder.
    You can now easily insert the filament all the way down into the hotend.
    Raise the hinge and put the screws back in.

3. sev7en

sev7en Member

Good evening,
    thanks... the problem could be the temperature? I mean... when I move down the filament I see the end, but it doesn't go outside the extruder. Does it is possible to have a picture? I see several videos but I didn't find the way.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What temperature are you trying to extrude it at?
    What software are you doing this with?

Load the filament, run the software, tell it to heat the extruder and then (when it gets to temperature) you should be able to tell the software to manually extrude. You may have to do it a couple of times to get the filament fed down into the hotend and out the nozzle.

5. arealgijoe

arealgijoe New Member

(I have a new Robo 3D R1) I suggest you NOT remove the long screws with SPRINGS. I lost a part trying to put it back in after clearing a problem, so ONLY if you really need to remove them, they can go flying easily.

The springs are there so you can pull the plastic part straight back, there is a grove in the part (toward front/center). make sure you straighten out the filament as best you can before trying to feed it. When properly aligned I can feel the HOLE / tube the filament goes into.

Remember COLD there is no way 1.75mm going to come out the 0.4mm extruder nozzle. The filament path on the Robo leaves room for improvement, filament can come out the sides instead of going down the tube path to the extruder, so look for filament coming out sideways above the tube.

I suggest using a FLASHLIGHT and I put tape over the blue leds that light up the case inards but hamper my vision trying to see what I am doing.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Or just take the top off for getting it going/testing :)

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  7. sev7en

sev7en Member

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

9. sev7en

sev7en Member

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. sev7en

sev7en Member

Thanks, which software did you suggest to use? I will move on it...

12. sev7en

sev7en Member

Found! For those with the same problem... Using the Advanced move in Printer / General / Has hardware leveling.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I use SImplify3D, but it is not free. You should stick with the free ones (Repetier host, Cura, etc.) until you get familiar with 3D printing.

14. sev7en

sev7en Member

Dear Mark,
    thanks there's something of wrong. I disabled the option but now the printer is getting crazy: it's bumping on the top making a lot of rumors and I suppose it is also damaging itself. Why?

15. arealgijoe

arealgijoe New Member

You might want to check your cover BEFORE removing it. Mine has plastic rings in the top that the longer, on-threaded rods fit into. Not all Robo covers have them, one on each side. Robo will work OK w/o the cover in place (older cases do not have the rod stabilizers anyway), but the rod stabilizers help reduce problems associated with those rods being free to wobble around (worse the higher up you go) during a print. If the object you are trying to print is short, all should be perfectly fine.

16. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Did the auto level work for you? did the print head go down and touch the glass bed in 9 spots? before trying to print. I don't know why its going up that high it should be staying down near the glass bed plate.

17. sev7en

sev7en Member

Good morning, unfortunately no: the printer doesn't do that 9 spots test, when I launch a print, after the pre-heat of bed and extruder, it starts simply to print and most of the time it hit one of the corner.
    There's is some setting I can import to fix it? When the filament goes down it's like "on the air", suspended...

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Do you have the startup gcode configured for autoleveling (don't use the 3-point autoleveling MatterControl has built in).

You should have something like this in your startup gcode:

G28 ;home all axis
    M565 Z-1.0 ;Define a 1.0mm offset, this may need adjusting
    G29 ;run autolevel routine

19. sev7en

sev7en Member

Dear Mark,
    also you, don't sleep at all :p Thanks, I will try as soon back from the site.

Cheers

20. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I think we are on a different time zone than you Sev7en. ?

I found this web page .. http://gcode.ws/

You can drag your gcode file into it and click the gcode tab and see the gcode file in a better format than notepad or something shows.

But if your useing mattercontrol i'm not sure why the problems.. mine worked ok.. though I only did one print with mattercontrol then moved onto better software.

mark tomlinson likes this.