1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Issue to insert the PLA into the extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sev7en, May 30, 2015.

1. sev7en

sev7en Member

My dears,
    thanks for all that tips!

To have a better quality:
    -) I have to change the default filament as no so good (I have some ordered also ABS)
    -) In Advance control I have to change for Layers the voice
    ---) Number of Solid Layers top -- to 10?
    ---) Number of Solid Layers bottom - to 10?
    -) The infill density should be? Now it is 2 and... the type? GRID is the best?

Thanks,

2. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

I use grid. I usually run infill at 15%. I would not do top and bottom layers at 10. For bottom I use 3 and for top I use 4.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Depends on how solid you need the model to be.
    Top and bottom layers same thing.. how much surface do you need? If you can live with less than a millimeter 3 or 4 is fine.
    (I am assuming a 0.4 nozzle here with a 0.2 layer thickness, I run 0.8 and 0.4 routinely so 3-4 layers is plenty in my case).

4. sev7en

sev7en Member

#44 sev7en, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
  5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

ABS can be a bit hit or miss on bridging. Stick with PLA for now

6. sev7en

sev7en Member

Mike, hello. Unfortunately it is exactly the same issue I had with the PLA: perfect basement and almost the body but the top is fuzzy.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You need to find the best temperature for printing the ABS that works with bridging (like mike said ... it can be a bit of a guessing game).
    You also probably want the parts cooling fan IS running when bridging. That helped mine. You don't want it running for the entire print... not with ABS.

P.S. ABS is seldom as easy as getting a new spool, throwing it on and hitting print. More so if you have not practiced with it.

8. sev7en

sev7en Member

Thanks, it means, it's "normal" the top is harder to print than the other parts?
    I moved to the ABS as I read it's better than the PLA but maybe... maybe not :p

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

ABS is much more temperature sensitive than PLA so it is harder to print everywhere. Thin/flat sections are probably most difficult (without a heated chamber). This is because the temperature will fall more rapidly on those types of shapes.

Better how? It has different material properties. Depending on what you are making and what you will use it for ABS might be 'better' or PLA could be the winner.

http://www.matterhackers.com/3d-printer-filament-compare
    http://www.tridprinting.com/Compare-PLA-ABS/

Is iron better than copper or steel? :) How about aluminum? You get the idea.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Bridging is very difficult for a beginner. Either print with support material or add a second fan for cooling.

11. sev7en

sev7en Member

Dear Mark,
    yes, it is clear your mind, sorry... "better than...?" it's about the contest. I am look for a material hard to break (the item you see, it should be like a kensington to lock the HP Slate 21" without that feature) I will take a look to the links above, thank you.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

13. sev7en

sev7en Member

14. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Its going to be hard to print that top especially with ABS. and even PLA will be hard because the robo3d's PLA cooling fan isn't very good. You can print a duct for it http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:431160 which can help ( for PLA )

You could try printing it with Support turned on. then you will have to break the support structures off.

I would try printing something easier to start with that doesn't have a bridge/overhang like that..until you get it dialed in on normal prints that overhang top is going to be real hard.

15. sev7en

sev7en Member

Thank you, it needs times... just a curiosity, all the 3d printers have that issue or there are models without?

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Models that use a heated chamber would (perhaps) be less troublesome in this case.
    You can probably print that in PLA, with ABS... you need to minimize the printer from drafts and add some external heat (an IR lamp will help). Every situation will be unique because there is no controlled environment (which is what a heated chamber tries to achieve). ABS is simply very temperature sensitive.

Take baby steps with ABS. You need to learn its foibles (the things that what make it weird compared to other filament types).
    If you really need prints now and don't have the time to deal with ABS then switch back to PLA?

17. sev7en

sev7en Member

Dear Mark,
    it is clear, thanks for your kindness. I looked for the ABS as I read it is stronger than the PLA: I am creating an hook for the HP Slate to lock that AIO to the desk as it is without the kesington. I will revert back to the PLA as you suggested.

Kindly,

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, the Alloy 910 will certainly be strong enough for this I would imagine.
    I know you were going to look into that and until you do I would suggest practicing with the PLA :)

Once you get it printing correctly with PLA, switching to the 910 will be trivial. It pretty much prints exactly like PLA other than the print temperature: Print Temperature = 245° C bed temp = 30 - 65C (I used 50C) and by that I mean that it behaves like PLA print and doesn't have any of the oddities that ABS normally exhibits.

Edit: http://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene-ABS/Polycarbonate-PC/
    PolyCarb is pretty darn tough as well. I forgot about it.

#58 mark tomlinson, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  19. sev7en

sev7en Member

It's a wonderful world to discover... thanks Mark and thank to that great community! :p

20. sev7en

sev7en Member

Good morning,
    I don't know really what's happened but the printer is started to do a strange mode.
    When I launch a printer it does the first setup layer perfectly (the one to make che border) but when it starts to print the object it's like it starts to do that some mm highter then the bed for that it doesn't go well.

What's happened? I repeat, the border is printed perfectly...