1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Jeff's printer has arrived

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by tesseract, Jun 23, 2013.

1. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Your suppose to stay up all night and watch it print.... Lol.

What could of happened?
    How do you have your spool sitting? Mine didn't come with a spool holder so at first I set my filament on the table next to it.... But I found that the filament would tangle and occasionally it seemed like RoBo strained to pull it... So I used a camera tripod And used the arm on the tripod to put the spool which solved the issue. Is it possible you filament bonded or tangled up overnight?

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

nope first thing I checked it was free as a it could be. You should have seen how easily those layer snapped off and they snapped of completely in one piece just pop and off it came

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Just a wee bit disappointing

4. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Maybe the tempature changed during the print for some reason.

5. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Understandable.

6. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Was it PLA?

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

The thing that makes this so special for me was that it was the first thing that I made that never existed at all. Yeah there were things that are very similar but not this exact thing. It started in my head I draw it up I amde everything fir and then I printed it out of a filament and it came into existance,

2 people like this.
  8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah PLA red

9. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I don't know what could of caused that. What I would do is reprint it this weekend. Start it early in the morning so you can monitor the entire print. Print it at high speed low resolution and low fill so your not wasting a lot of filament.

Make sure your watching your temperature curve to ensure the temps are staying constant. I printed PLA successfully with 190 degree for first layer 185 for the rest.

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

some what the plan I had
    I am checking to see if I need finer calibration on X Y Z right now then I am printing a holder for my dia lindicator so I can check bed levelness once I am happy with that then I will do a reprint on the cube

11. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Post the info in using a indicator to level your bed. One mod I'm probably going to make is add a way to easily level the bed using springs and threaded nuts and bolts.

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

LOL you assume I have a procedure for leveling the bed I do not have that yet I had to take mine apart and put it back together so I need to check how bad it is
    there is ome adjust I can do but not much
    My piece of wood may also be bowed so if thats the case I hae towait for glass or something haven't decided yet

13. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I think my platform is slightly bowed too. I just ordered a piece of boro glass and I'm also thinking about changing the bed mounting system to an adjustable spring mount system.

14. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

This will allow for more precise bed leveling.

15. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

yep I can 't decide on aluminum or glass though seems both have pros and cons

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Had some slight printer bed issue but I resolved them and wanted to go through thecalibrationobjects again this time with a little expereience behind me and the results were much better I ended up x 15.1 y 15.0 z 14.9 much happier and here are some of thing things I printed today
    2013-06-28 00.27.04.jpg
    the calibration cubes the 5mm step cube with bridging and no support bridging is very cool. I also made atool to check bed level ness which snaps onto the x axis rods and you can check the highall along the y axis when x is near zero or at the other extreme did the fun pyramid which turned out amazingly well I also had a misprint with my tesseract plant o try that one again soon

Right now I am doing the Yosemite lithograph I made from an image of mine hope it turns out well as I plan to do several for xmas gifts this year with a little lighted stand. Other than that trying to figure out what happend ed to my cube it was about 25 hours into and only had about 2 left when it just died

2 people like this.
  17. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

On a side note my cuborg didn't go to waste in now is holding all those little pieces I have been printing which is what it was kind of design for so all is kind good with that
    2013-06-28 00.55.41.jpg

18. MacInfoSys

MacInfoSys New Member

Any chance you could SHARE the STL file for the calibration tool snapon bridge ?

19. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I tried to add the .stl to sliciverse but the system is having issues as soon as harry gets it fixed I will upload it there.

As far as the bridge goes it is not an stl it is how the software spans gaps with no support. I am not sure if I can get a pic of it on such a small item as it is very small but rather ingenious. I will try to explain what I see happening it may not be the actual way it does it but my explanation does correspond to what I see.

Imagine a you want opening in a solid wall, just say it is a square hole, but you do not want to add support how canit build the top with nothing under it. Well it doesn't it builds it from the back side of the hole it starts by printing a short line segment in the middle area of the opening now this may repeat for two layers I can't tell but soon there after it prints alight longer segment on the outside of the first segment in fact surrounding it and locking it to the back wall but now it extends out a bit farther. This forms a slight arc and this process is repeated until the edges of the opening are reach and the hole is made. Print this and without supports and you will see what I mean I tried taking pics with my phone but no luck.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:24238

the 5mm step pyramid

20. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok this last print was both a success and a fail hmmmmm well it was a fail becasue i could have design it not need any support and use a lot less filament to get the exact job done so I failed the print the success was that in this print I oriented it sideways and I was trying to see how bridging worked and I was extremely surprised and happy it did work I had to span about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches and the printer just laid a line as if it were nothing special and then another and so on and so on and it look liked garbage the filement strands were getting mixed up twisted stretched pulled yanked it was a pretty site but the filament stayed there the next layer came and the printer laid that next layer of filament right on top as usually only this time things were much less chaotic and substantially smoothed out layer three comes along and there are only slight bumps layer four and it was smooth as glass layer 5 was just frosting after that so the printer had succeeded in bridging a 1 1/2 in gap with honors in my book here are some pics

Third layer after bridging
    2013-06-28 11.44.41.jpg

Fourth layer

2013-06-28 11.48.44.jpg

This will give you an idea what the first layer looked like
    this is the under side of the previous images and this is what layer 1 was like
    2013-06-28 11.54.16.jpg

End result
    2013-06-28 11.59.51.jpg Now I have to go design it the right way for what I wanted it for but this is still a bridging success as far as I am concerned