1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Jeff's printer has arrived

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by tesseract, Jun 23, 2013.

1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Going through the first print now got a little assist from Harry cuz I just confused. Doing my first print now freaked out bit when I didn't see anything print then noticed it guess I should have chosen a different color to start blue filament on blue tape kinda hard to spot easily. Will be posting pics tomorrow

But looking great so far

2. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Copying my thread? LOL JK. Thats what this section is for. No problem on the help Jeff, any day! Let me know how your first prints come out

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

starting of small but I did my first print as a 100 micron multiple item print I printed 10 tangles which are little curved pieces that snap together to make a chain kind of fun for little kids to play with not too little because thy can come apart I all did the 5mm stepped pyramid and a couple of 15 mm cubes all except the last in 100 micron I did the last in 300micron to look for the difference got a pic of that so you can see for your self 2013-06-24 12.13.16.jpg 2013-06-24 09.58.47.jpg 2013-06-24 08.46.31.jpg 2013-06-23 23.13.10.jpg 2013-06-23 23.12.57.jpg 2013-06-23 23.11.37.jpg 2013-06-23 23.11.06.jpg Remember these"tangles were my very first print so alot of the temp settings were guesitimates but the ROBO guys got pretty close in the docs they give us

Here is the 100 micron - 300 micron

2013-06-24 12.11.04.jpg The left one at 100 micro shows a bit of rippling which could be an indication of the heat being too high dropped it by 10C and the left was in 300 micron not much rippling though not sure if its the 300 microns or the heat but I'll have fun figuring it out.

2 people like this.
  4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I have to say right out of the box these are very impressive printers.

Got a bit mixed up the part where you add the filament to the extruder but it was just that I was unfamiliar with the entire thing. Only thing I would add and you will know it when you get there. When it says to open up the extruderby loosening the two bolts. the easiest thing is to unscrew them all the way out. REMEMBER though it is spring loaded to make sure it does spring away form you, when it releases from the nut. Then the extruder simply pops open on its own and you can see right where to put the filament.Once insert close the top of the extruder back up.
    To replace, the make sure both washers and the spring are on each of the screws put a screwdriver on the screwhead compress the springs in your fingers and start screwing the screw into its home while keeping the spring compressed with your fingers. repeat for second screw and you are done.
    once you do it once it will be very easy to do in the future when you change filaments.

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Looking good Jeff! Glad to see the long tangle!

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

The cuborg is coming to life
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372207797.585657.jpg
    This is the back of the cuborg cube

LONG BUILD TIME: 27 h 45 m 36 s
    200 microns
    Red PLA
    That image was layer 10 of 618
    Fun times

7. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

27hrs good god... o_O

4 people like this.
  8. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Are you running this with supports for the overhanging parts that hold the drawers in and connect the parts together? I'd hate to see you get 15 hours in and find it just dropping plastic on those unsupported hooks in the back :eek:. I bet you could design in some cut away supports around those parts and run it much faster without computer generated support.

Just as an FYI (not that it helps you now) but I bet this would print just fine and a heck of a lot faster at .3mm layer.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

very good points and I plan to do more at the .3mm layer but wanted the first to be alittle better so I went to .2mm
    Yes it has supports the idea of cut away support sounds like a great idea I guess the NOOBishness is showing still have alot to learn I am already planning cuborg II which is a bit more flexible in it's orientations and could utilize cut-away supports.

2 people like this.
  10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Cuborg is printing and looking good so far. Had a couple of minor setbacks one ongoing the other *resolved*.

I have a couple of areas where the filament needs to print/retract/print/retract/print again in very rapid succession and sometimes it does this very quietly and sometimes not have yet to determine why. This concerns me as I live in an apartment and set this to print which is several hours and during the night I didn't want my neighbors to complain, so will be looking more into this.

The other thing was a "my bad" just couldn't keep my hands off it. I was getting some spider webbing so will be adjusting that as well but I reached in with my tweezers to remove some while it was printing and damn if the y axis changed quickly and moved teh support structure right into the tweezers.....My Bad snap off came the support problem was I still need it the item had not yet been printed and still isn't due to for several more hours. so I immediately slowed the print down to give time before it continued printing more of that support.

Ended up using a piece of tape folded into the right size to mimic the spacing that existed between it and the wall of the print and another piece of tape to tape it in place against that same wall with the folded tape in between and waited well the nozzle came around and all that ended up was a little blob of filament on top of the broken support taped in place but at least it had printed something and I was close to the right spot. next pass a little less blob but still a blob. next pass I saw the blob was lengthening in teh right direction so I dabbed some white glue onto the tape to make sure everything stayed in place over time and went to bed. Woke up this morning to find a new perfect looking support being built right on top of the old though just a bit off set so as far as the printer knows that support is now normal again and exactly where it is supposed to be. YEAHHHHHHHH. I didn't think that was gonna happen. So I am patting myself on the back and saying "gooood boy" even though a lot of it was luck.

Anyway here is a pic of the Cuborg sofar this morning spider webs and all first the recovery of the support result
    2013-06-26 07.49.27.jpg Next the current cuborg
    2013-06-26 07.48.03.jpg
    As you can see from this angle that lower support on the left looks completely normal. so I am happy about how that turned out.

As I said getting spiderwebs not sure about those yet but I am sure my fellows here will be giving me pointers quite soon.

NOT TOUCHING THE PRINT ANYMORE UNTIL ITS DONE

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I am also learning what I can and can't manipulate during a print you would be surprised at what you can change while the print is going on and at the same time frustrated at the things you can't.

12. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Jeff, I recommend adjusting some of you Retraction settings. I can help you on skype if you want.

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

hey guys I reached milestone on the cuborg the tabs and the open areas have begun to be printed check out the image. As I had mentioned previously I had a scare when I broke one of my support columns and was wondering about scraping it and starting ver but I managed to kluge it back together and as it is only support material will be able to do it job so the rest of the print was saved that being said I have had a lot of suggestions about the threading people see in the photos I understand and I would like to get it resolved but I also don't want to try and change anything that may screw up the print so I will deal with the spider webs and try all the fixes after this makes it out just don't like tempting fate to often I already escaped once with the support.

Any way her is the latest pics
    2013-06-26 15.33.18.jpg 2013-06-26 15.46.54.jpg

14. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Looks good jeff. I'm defiantly going to make one of these... Keep us updated and let us know when the design is reay for prime time.

2 people like this.
  15. Trenton Smith

Trenton Smith Member

That's quite an undertaking Jeff! Turned out pretty sweet for a first run. Great job on the pictures also

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

well it is almost finished had a few setbacks mentioned above but here is the latest photo. hopefully tomorrow when I wake up and come in here it will be finished.

2013-06-26 22.56.09.jpg Nothing fancy but does look pretty good several support structure I have to remove when it finishes but that will be fun as well...this time

17. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Lookin good....

18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]well bad news not sure what happened but about 2-3 this morning it looks like my extruder was starving for filament. I was regretting selecting a solid fill but these layers in the last 1/2 in just didn't want to fill correct or bond

19. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I'm don't think you needed to go with 100% fill on something like this. My filastruder electronics box was printed at .5 fill and it's pretty solid feeling. Especially since this is the first time this design is being printed. I would think a high speed, low resolution, low fill test print would be a more economical way to test the design.

I'm starting scrap bins for prints like this. This way if someone designs a good grinder I can recycle these scraps through my filastruder.

I am looking forward to seeing this design printed. It is on my printing list.

20. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

the 100%fill was NOOB mistake
    the last part is what bothers me so much I do not know why there was such a drastic change