1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Jerk Settings - Marlin Firmware Upgrade

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Roberttrama, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Roberttrama

Roberttrama New Member

So I'm having trouble with the mesh leveling and using S3D. My x and y jerk are set to 11 and yet when I use S3D it bangs so hard when it changes direction I start to get layer shifts. When I use matter control I have no problems. I am running a r1plus

2. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Did you do an M502 and M500 after your upload of the new firmware? Also - did you confirm you downloaded the correct file?

3. Roberttrama

Roberttrama New Member

I did the M502 and M 500 through MC since that's where I did the probing, could that be why MC is fine with the firmware and S3D is not. And it's the update that is on page 47

#3 Roberttrama, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Roberttrama whether or not you are using MESH has no bearing on how fast direction changes are being made. Are you sure that MatterControl and S3D are using the same acceleration numbers when slicing? It is likely not firmware with proof being that MC works, so it has to be a difference in settings.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Roberttrama

Roberttrama New Member

Yea I have checked all speed numbers for both print and non print. When I run the part in MC it runs smooth and when I run it in S3D it slams hard with each direction change that is not a print change. I have that value set to 150mms originally and then I brought it down. I had to roll back firmware, it just felt like I was going to damage something. I'm sure it is a setting in s3d. I just can't figure out for the life of me what it is

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Try forcing the accel in the startup GCode:

M201 X1000 Y1000

would set them to 1000 (I personally use much lower numbers than that)

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

As I said and stand by the statement, this isn't a firmware issue so my suggestion is to start a new thread in troubleshooting. This thread is long enough just trying to keep up with Marlin builds.

mark tomlinson and anngeelow81 like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Thread issue sorted.

Geof likes this.
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Since RC8 traditional JERK numbers might need to be re-discovered. The old code most of the time, but not always, used the JERK numbers from Configuration.h and divided them by 2. So as a start maybe try to half the numbers supplied. Also moving forward I will be making a slight change to the supplied values, although I am not experiencing the same issues you are.

Another possible cause may be backlash as a result of just a bit too little tension in the GT2 belts. Try a slight increase in belt tension. Also check the bottom pulleys and maybe use a spacer if needed to center the belt between the washers used on either side of the bearings.

#10 WheresWaldo, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  11. j93

j93 New Member

I am having the same exact issue with s3d after installing 1.1.7. matter control prints fine but s3d rattles so bad my layers are wonky.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Where did you get that firmware, because the community firmware only has acceleration values of 900 and Jerk of 14. Much lower than the Marlin defaults. Also take a screenshot of your S3D process Speed tab. There is no way you can print on ANY Robo printer at 150 mm/s. Travel moves maybe, but not actually print. You are lucky to print at 60 mm/s with the default Robo settings.

13. j93

j93 New Member

I downloaded the firmware that danzca posted in the 1.1.7 firmware section on page 14. It was a prepackaged version for someone else but with the same seetup. Matter control seems to print fine but s3d seems like it's printing way to fast and very jerky. I have attached matter control image of eeprom and s3d speed tab

Attached Files:

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You may need to lower jerk settings more, You are only printing at 50 mm/s and moving (non-print) at 80 mm/s. That should be within the capabilities of the printer. But Matter control may actually be going slower than that. Each printer has its own quirks and has to be set accordingly.

A side note, since the X and Y are mathematically calculated I am not sure why @danzca6 decided that the mechanically derived and more correct 80 steps for X and Y were not used. However those other numbers were determined will only work exactly for the test model used with the exact filament used to print it. Every other model printed will have errors in the X and Y dimensions. Those dimensional errors may be minor and insignificant to you but they are still there. This type of error should be taken care of with extrusion factors and other slicer parameters.

15. j93

j93 New Member

I adjusted the steps per mm during calibration. I'll lower the jerk settings some more and see if that helps.

16. j93

j93 New Member

I went back to the stock firmware and did not have the issue quite as bad, however the bed seemed to wobble and make a racket so i replaced the bearings in it. I then reinstalled the 1.1.7 firmware again and while it seems to print more aggressively the same settings it no longer sounds like a train passing by as it prints.

After all this i decided it was time to retire the Robo R1 and buy a new printer. I found a great deal in a hardly used e3d big box dual v.1.1 with all the options included. the thing prints like a dream and i love it.. wish i would have made the jump sooner!

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have never retired a printer. Maybe it became #2 (or 3, or 6, etc.) but out to pasture? never :)

Geof likes this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto. I'm actually amassing quite the collection of unwanted R1 units lol. :D They may be "old tech" but they run the heck out of production work :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. j93

j93 New Member

I think i am going to pass the Robo on to my son when he leaves for college. I am running out of room in my office for toys. I still have an order out for the Prusa Mk3 with the multi material upgrade coming eventually. someday when i get one of my cars sold I would like to add a Ultimaker 3 extended to my collection. I have enjoyed the Robo it was a great printer to learn on and was fairly forgiving for newbie mistakes like crashing the print head into the bed. I am sure my son will enjoy messing with the robo and upgrading it just as much as i have :) My next purchase was going to be an R2 but i came across the BigBox for a really great price i couldn't pass up. If i were to buy more than 2 new printers within a years time i would have to factor in the cost of a divorce somewhere in the budget lol!

So far i am super impressed with my first few prints with the BigBox printer. Duel extrusion was a bit of a pain to figure out at first but i think i have figured it out. The first real lesson i learned was " Hey Dummy there's a second nozzle under there that is super hot too" when i reached under to grab a string filament that the printer was dragging around during a print.

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I know that feeling :D

There is nothing wrong with adding 2 or more a year :D The key is to wear them down slowly at first then just buy so many that they give up and are grateful when its just 2 ;)