1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Just unboxed printer, printer going to far to the right and grinding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mayhem, Jun 3, 2015.

1. mayhem

mayhem New Member

ok so i just unboxed printer, watched the tutorials, updated all the firmware and loaded my first print. everything shows up good on mattercontrol (1.2) and i pre heat the extruder and bed. right before it starts to print it will do an auto calibration where the nozzle comes down a couple different times and touches the bed, but as its working its way to the right it seems like its going to far because i hear a really loud grinding noise. it does this noise two times and i cant get it to actually start the print. i did notice that the extruder temps keep messing around, like for instance while i set it to pre heat, it will reach the desired temperatures and start to calibrate, but by the time its done calibrating ( and after i hear that awful noise two times during calibration) the extruder temperature is on point 235c abs, and the bed temp is now low ( i have it set to 85c for abs). then the darn heat bed will get to temp and now the extruder is too low. this is kinda frustrating and i appreciate al your help, thank you.

2. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

So the max bed temperature allowed by the firmware is 85C. So when you set it to 85C it will overshoot slightly and trigger a safety for the bed to turn off. You can set the bed for 83C and be fine. Or, at your own risk, change the firmware to allow for a greater temperature.

Is your bed size correct in the software?

3. mayhem

mayhem New Member

I also want to notate that whenever I start to print the item that I'm printing is centered on the bed in the program however when it prints it's printing on the bottom right corner of the glass

4. mayhem

mayhem New Member

That is a very helpful answer I do want to know that it is the original firmware I have not mess with it at all as I'm still fairly new to printing however the reason why I said it to 89 was because the last printer I had which was a da Vinci printed ABS and 89 on the bed and 129on the extruder I haven't messed with the parameters inside the program so I couldn't really tell you if the settings are correct as far as the size of the bed I five remember off the top of my head it was like 228 and 214 or something like that

5. mayhem

mayhem New Member

Another question I noticed there are limit switches on the bolts for upward and downward movement and then there is a limit switch on the left-hand side of the printer that I would assume would prevent the printer from going too far to the left but I don't see any limits which is on the right-hand side so I guess my question is how does the printer know when it's gone too far to the right if there's nolimit switch the reason why am asking is because as stated earlier before it doesn't print it'll press on the glass a couple times in a couple different spots which I know always for auto leveling but it goes too far to the right and makes a very here grinding time noise it done this twice during The pre-printing process

6. Stephen Capistron

There is no limit switch on the right hand side. The printer is "dumb" in that it simply counts steps from the left to limit its amount of travel.

If you open the terminal and send "G28" what happens and where does the print head go?

7. mayhem

mayhem New Member

Not to sound like an idiot but can you explain how exactly do I send G 28

8. mayhem

mayhem New Member

I have version 2.1

9. Stephen Capistron

How about clicking "home" instead?

I don't use mattercontrol, I don't care for it. Somewhere in the software you might see something that says "open terminal" or some such. It is an incredibly useful and powerful feature.

10. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Here's a crude screenshot for the basic control being talked about.

Capture.PNG

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

12. mayhem

mayhem New Member

Ok here is a pic of it after I hit all.

Attached Files:

13. mayhem

mayhem New Member

Here's another one

14. mayhem

mayhem New Member

15. sev7en

sev7en Member

Hi and welcome,
    if you want send command to the printer, go to: Configuration then click on Gcode Terminal.

16. mayhem

mayhem New Member

Here is the g code, when I click send nothing happens

17. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Is it me, or does that look backwards?

18. mayhem

mayhem New Member

Okay I can't upload the G code from my phone it says the file is too large does anybody have a picture of a G code so I can match it

19. Stephen Capistron

So the print head is supposed to home in the middle of your bed. It should slowly move to the left and almost bounce of the left hand z-axis. The bed should then move back and repeat that sort of bouncing action when it reaches the extreme. From there it should move to the middle and then down until the nozzle makes contact with the bed.

My guess is you have some loose wires on your limit switches either at the printer end or the arduino end. The switch for the X direction is mounted right on the front of the carriage. Make sure that is operating correctly. You will need to do the same with the Y axis. That switch is underneath the glass bed.

I'm afraid without utilizing the terminal I'm not going to be of much assistance.

20. mayhem

mayhem New Member

Ok the picture above is the end result of when I hit " all" that's where it homes to. I know when I print it starts from the left goes down touches glass, goes to the middle and goes down to touch glass, then goes to the right and goes down and touches glass, then it tries to go to the right again and then you hear this loud grinding noise( because it can't go any further right) and after that it goes back a little bit, then tries to go right again and then you hear the crazy noise again.