1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Just unboxed printer, printer going to far to the right and grinding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mayhem, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

So when you start a print what is really happening is the software sends either "G28" or "G28 X Y | G28 Z". This homes the nozzle within the print space and should go off as I described above.

After that the printer is told to perform auto-level, "G29" The nozzle will make contact with the bed in 9 locations forming a grid on the glass.

I think you have a number of issues going on, but I think we can work through them if you got the patience.

1. With the printer off can you slide the carriage left and right without anything binding or sticking? Same with sliding the bed back and forth? If not you likely have a bad bearing that will need to be replaced which is only allowing the carriage to move in the one direction.

2. You might have a broken y-axis belt clip. If you pop up the glass bed and look underneath is the belt connected? The bed is only held in place by magnets so it will pop up.

3. Using the manual movement commands in mattercontrol can you move in the negative X direction at all? Can you move in the +Y direction at all?

4. TBD

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Actually, Matter Control always had the Z axis home after the X & Y went to one extreme end of the travel instead of going to the middle of the bed.

I didn't get center-of-bed Z-homing until I moved to Simplify3D.

3. Stephen Capistron

I used Mattercontrol for a few weeks in February and that was about it so I'm not going to be much help on the software side of things or how mattercontrol executes different functions.

4. mayhem

mayhem New Member

Ok here is a YouTube link to what's going on, please excuse the shakiness as it was my girls first time messing with this

5. Stephen Capistron

So your Y axis seems to work so that is good.

Can you address items 1 and 3 from above?

6. mayhem

mayhem New Member

Ok so as far as 1. Yes it moves with my hand freely, however when I first got the printer it would go left, only right, I push the + and - signs and it would only go right. So I tried to move it left by hand but it was pretty tuff, so I applied a little more pressure, which seemed to have loosened it up and it finally moved left by hand, it was only after that me forcing it left would it move left by hand and by the control on the computer.

7. Stephen Capistron

I don't think it is moving left by control with the computer any more by evidenced in your video.

I would submit a replacement part request for new bearings for the X axis carriage. Preferably a whole new carriage so you don't have to deal with pressing out and in bearings.

8. mayhem

mayhem New Member

It moves left right up and down by computer command and even when it prints, not sure why it keep trying to move right though as you can see in the video

9. mayhem

mayhem New Member

At the end of the video you can see it move left

10. Stephen Capistron

So if it can move left via command that means something is likely wrong with your x axis limit switch. Likely that it is stuck closed. The switch is located right on the front of the carriage.

If you can locate the terminal in matter control "M119" will tell you the status of the end stops.

11. mayhem

mayhem New Member

How do you get to that terminal m119?

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

13. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

The bolt on my X-Axis switch was too short to touch the switch. from the factory.

But check the connection too like suggested. as I don't really know whats going on with yours.

( see how mine cant reach to close the switch )
    [​IMG]

Luckily I have another printer and printed this little nub to put on the bolt so it would close the switch.
    [​IMG]

14. mayhem

mayhem New Member

its there and it clicks, i just checked it, how does the head know where its at? it keeps trying to go right and thats when its hitting

15. mayhem

mayhem New Member

can anyone give me the default numbers, like bed size, homing numbers etc.. when i tell it to home it runs all the way to the right. like the start g code and end g code. i just got the printer yesterday

this is mine

Start g code

G28 X0 Y0 Z0 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
    M109 S[temperature] ; set the extruder temp and wait
    G28 X0 Y0 Z0; Home Z again in case there was filament on nozzle
    M565 Z0
    G29 ; probe the bed

End G Code

M104 S0 ; turn off temperature
    G1 X10 Y200
    M84 ; disable motors

also my print keeps printing on the bottom right corner of the bed not in the center

#35 mayhem, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  16. mayhem

mayhem New Member

ok so when i hit the " ALL" tab on mattercontrol the head doesnt move left it only moves right but just a little bit. only the head moves up and down and the glass moves back and forth.

#36 mayhem, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Read this post again

18. mayhem

mayhem New Member

i did check them and they are connected, but let me ask you a question, when the head is moving left and i hit the limit switch with my finger is it supposed to stop? im assuming so, because then there would be no need for the limit switch, but i figured id ask. i move it left X- on matter control and i reach over and hit the switch and it continues to move left

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Trust me man. 100% your switch is not plugged in properly.

Send M119 to verify

Remove the bottom panel and check the ramps board for the loose connection

Matter control is a crappy software that doesn't prevent moving past negative

20. mayhem

mayhem New Member

Attached Files: