1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Lack of parts and support with Robo

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Shane Simino, Dec 12, 2016.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Aaron Lunger I wish you would qualify exactly what you mean by support and parts. Yes the bed is hard to get, but there are a few on here that have replaced the bed with a more readily available aluminum sheet and getting a piece of borosilicate glass, a silicone heater, four neodymium 10 x 3 mm magnets is not impossible. Nearly every other part is basically open sourced and available from cheaper sources like Amazon, etc.

While it also might be hard to get Robo to sit with you and help as much as you would like. I am sure if you have asked any questions here there will be someone who would have taken the time to answer your question.

Some of our expectations with regard to 3D printers is because we all mistakenly call them PRINTERS. They are as far from a printer as you can get and to expect the same level of support you would get if you called HP or Epson or Brother is just wishful thinking. Putting this all in perspective. Does Robo need to do better, you bet they do, but to condemn the printer as unsupported is a bit extreme when there are so many that want to help and are willing to help.

Geof likes this.
  2. Aaron Lunger

Aaron Lunger New Member

Oh, I'm very well aware of how support goes. Having a fully modded XYZ Printing Da Vinci (E3D V6 hotend, new carrier, hardened steel shafts, E3D Titan Extruder, borosilicate glass bed and new heater, etc....), I'm no newbie when it comes to modifying a printer or finding parts. Or printing parts to upgrade the printer (new X and Y tensioners, parts for the extruder, parts for the custom sled to hold the hot end, etc...).

Finding a borosilicate glass bed that is 15"x10" has proven difficult at best (without looking up local glass cutters, haven't gone that far yet). I'd have no problems if I could find one that was the right (or relatively close) to the right size.

I did eventually get a hold of Robo. Which was a good side about it. But I called, emailed, and eventually had to just use the direct customer service 'chat' to finally get information regarding ordering a new bed.

I will say, the gentleman (David was his name I believe) recommended a PEI sheet as well. I have never tried them, but heard about them before. Needless to say I did order one.

I will just say that I still find it somewhat disheartening that they don't just provide a simple store to order commonly replaceable parts (I can imagine the print bed is probably the most replaced part....)

Got a link for a properly sized (or close to it) borosilicate sheet of glass? Or even a heater?

Heck, maybe that should even be a part of the FAQ, since i'm going to guess there's many others with the same problem.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You can purchase borosilicate glass from most online glass shops in custom sizes and even from McMaster-Carr at a higher price.

Just remember that Glass is an insulator not a conductor of heat, so it is not the best material to make a bed out of.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

They do have the "store" but have not been very good at keeping it stocked. The assortment of available bits didn't always reflect reality (as in they had more parts on-hand than you would see on the page).

I do hope (as do many other I am sure) that once they get switched to the R2/C2 that they get a bit better at this stuff.
    (not sure that will benefit us, but still)

Geof likes this.