1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Lack of parts for the Robo 3D R1+ Unacceptable

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by sandman450, Feb 24, 2017.

1. sandman450

sandman450 New Member

I don't know about you guys but I am starting to feel like a red headed stepchild due to Robo 3D's lack of parts for the Robo 3D R1+. I know they are busy rolling out the latest and greatest Robo 3D Printers but for some of us early adopters, I find it unacceptable that they don't have replacement parts on hand.....EVER!!!!! You check their online store, nothing! Sold Out Sold Out Sold Out! This will be my last Robo 3D printer due to lack of available parts. I mean how hard is it stock a few of the most in-demand replacement parts? I inquired to buy a new Borosilicate glass yesterday and was told "We're out, check back next week?" Would that answer be acceptable to you after spending $799 on their product less than 5 months ago?

Damn printer is nothing more than a doorstop if it I can't get the parts I need to keep it running. And I am done venting. Just infuriating to get a canned, don't give a damn response when contacting customer service. Unacceptable!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Early adopters? You mean like us Beta users :) Haven't been able to get those parts in a long time either.

You really should not believe the online store.
    Call them.

On top of all that, except for the bed on all of the R models and one specific part in the R1+ model, everything on the printer is open hardware, available online all over the place. The one exception is the RAMPS board in the R1+ (not the R1 or the beta) which is a custom board, but we have a thread showing you how to switch to a standard RAMPS board.

Tells us what parts you need and I can show you a cheap place to get them.

[Their support has never been "awesome" but it has gotten better. Small company woes in some aspects. This is where the forum shines. We can help if you can work on it. If you think their support is lacking, take it from someone who owns printers from other vendors -- they are not bad in comparison... @Geof has way more printers that myself. He can attest to what support is like for the rest of them as well]

#2 mark tomlinson, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are a number of threads discussing options for the bed as well. I can point those out to you if you need. The easiest solution is to swap to aluminum (better than the borosilicate).

There are no real overarching reasons to use Borosilicate glass*. If the bed is merely cracked cover it with some plate glass and carry on. If you really do need it replaced then either use plate (aluminum or glass) or tempered glass.

* yes, the thermodynamic properties of borosilicate are superior, but I am unconvinced there is enough thermal stress or fast enough temperature changes to matter. Many folks (and other printers too) make do without that and other types of glass are cheaper and readily available if it does break

#3 mark tomlinson, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

At least you can call them and get an answer :)... Many machines, robo is my cheapest and service and support (this forum in particular ) outshines some of my 3k machines. What's wrong with your bed ? Just chipped ? Or shattered ?

5. sandman450

sandman450 New Member

Shattered.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

To swap to glass I suggest an Ssr, bigger heater and a piece of glass cut to size. Glue the magnets to the new set up and good to go

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

And if you really want glass then you can get a sheet of tempered custom cut at a local hardware store for really cheap.

You can even order a sheet of Borosilicate glass custom cut online if you really want to stay that way. I can get you the vendor others have used. IIRC it is about $25-30 for a sheet of glass the correct size with a minimum order of $50 (so you buy two).

You then relocate the heater pad from the old to the new (or completely replace it if you rather).

9. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

The very reason I went with Robo was because of the open source parts.

10. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

As far as I've been able to tell, stocking replacement beds has been an issue since late 2014/early 2015. You can put in an order for one and get one as Robo gets one from their supplier, but it is either a not-kept-stocked item or such a frequently replaced part that it's impossible to keep in stock (limiting orders to direct contact with staff vs. the online store may be a measure to slow the flow of orders even if it is at the expense of disatisfied customers).

An aluminum bed is an upgrade anyway because the insulating properties of (especially borosilicate, since it's intended use is in furnace viewing portals) glass make it a bad build plate material (a really thin sheet on top of aluminum to ensure flatness of the build surface is a different matter, but glass that is thick enough to be a support plate is also thick enough to insulate against the efforts of a heater).

For the money you'd spend getting a replacement bed ($90+shipping+waiting over a month for it last time I bought direct from Robo), you might as well go down the upgrade path.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, this is the bottom line. The Borosilicate glass is not really a win. I do not know about the R2, but hopefully they have left that feature out. The C2 has no bed heat and yet you can do 90% of the materials out there anyway with just the aluminum bed. If you have a heater there are too many upsides to the aluminum versus the glass.