1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Larger Nozzle?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Adam Laird, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

I just got R2 on Wednesday (I was a pre-order person) and so far it's working really well! I've been working on a few bigger lower resolution things like the holder for the old Robo spools and it's taking forever with the 0.4 nozzle. I was wondering if anyone had replaced theirs with something bigger and if anyone had suggestions on which one to use.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Decide what layer height you want to deal with then go for it.
    I have used nozzles from 0.2 -> 1.6 (used a Volcano adapter on the ones larger than 0.8) and all you are losing is resolution.
    Maybe your parts are big and that lost resolution doesn't matter (it generally doesn't). For routine work and test parts we run with a 1.0mm nozzle unless it is a really small part (and then 0.4 is usually fine).

Advantages to a larger nozzles are you can print a lot faster :) The more plastic you can push out in a single pass the faster your print is DONE.

3. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

Thanks for responding! Is there a specific brand you like for the R2? I've seen some on Amazon for the R1 that looked like they might work?

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Nearly anything that says it is E3D compatible will work on the default Hexagon hotend.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is almost no difference in nozzles* :)
    There are a few different types, but if you get E3D compatible nozzles they will work on the Robo just fine.
    You do not have to buy them from E3D either, just make sure that they are E3D compatible.

One thing to consider is a rule of thumb I use. It is not a hard-and-fast rule, but more of a "guideline". For best results you want your layer height to be %30-60% of the nozzle diameter size. Make that adjustment in your slicer.

The standard 0.4mm nozzle with a 0.2mm layer height falls smack in the middle of that. Can you print outside that range? Absolutely. I have seen 0.05mm layers from a 0.4mm nozzle**, but you need to have the printer tuned for that to get the best results and out of the box/defaults everywhere that rule of thumb works. Start with that and then play around.

*not ALL nozzles are the same, some of the makerbots and a few others use some that are totally different.
    **search the forum and you can find examples from one of our members @tesseract that show just how fine a detail you can get with a 0.4mm nozzle.

6. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

It should also be noted that when you get into the larger nozzles (0.8mm+) you'll need to slow print speed down a tiny bit to allow the heater cartridge to melt the plastic (unless you have the volcano, in which case go hog wild).

Still, going 45mm/s print speed with a .8mm nozzle will still finish an equivalent print faster than a 60mm/s .4mm nozzle print.

jwmueller and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

So I got the nozzles and swapped the stock one with a 0.6. Is there a way to change that in Cura?

8. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Settings->Printers->Machine settings

Geof likes this.
  9. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

Thank you!