1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

LCD Controller question

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Wesley Knapp, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

If I use the Pause feature on the controller, can I then raise the printhead, swap out filament and then Resume? When it resumes will it move back to the last print position and continue printing?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

M600 is the filament change command to Marlin. I am too lazy to look in the source and see if that is what is tied to the LCD Pause menu :) Some of the LCDs (Full graphic maybe?) actually have a change filament menu item that sends the M600

It could also just be doing : https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M025.html

#2 mark tomlinson, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, the 1.1.x version at least looks to be using that, this is from ultralcd.cpp:

#if ENABLED(ADVANCED_PAUSE_FEATURE)
    void lcd_enqueue_filament_change() {
    #if ENABLED(PREVENT_COLD_EXTRUSION)
    if (!DEBUGGING(DRYRUN) && !thermalManager.allow_cold_extrude &&
    thermalManager.degTargetHotend(active_extruder) < thermalManager.extrude_min_temp) {
    lcd_save_previous_screen();
    lcd_goto_screen(lcd_advanced_pause_toocold_menu);
    return;
    }
    #endif
    lcd_advanced_pause_show_message(ADVANCED_PAUSE_MESSAGE_INIT);
    enqueue_and_echo_commands_P(PSTR("M600 B0"));
    }

4. Wesley Knapp

Problem is, I have no earthly idea what version firmware I have installed. Nor do I even have the code any longer. Would have been 2 years ago that I upgraded the firmware to whatever the latest was in June 2018.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Robo R1 series has not changed since 2014 so odds are good you are on the 1.0.x version if you were on stock firmware.
    If you had done the community version of 1.1 you would know :)

Marlin menu tree is here:
    https://marlinfw.org/docs/features/lcd_menu.html

from that the PAUSE and Change Filament menus are different. The pause is simply that ... the Change Filament is the one you are asking about and I don't remember if that is on the Discount LCD. If so this shows you how to navigate there.

6. Wesley Knapp

I did perform the upgrade of the stock firmware to the community version, just didn't know the firmware version number.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then it should have the PAUSE menu, but I can't say if it has the FILAMENT CHANGE command or not.
    That would be LCD specific -- the smaller one (reprap discount -- 4 line display) I do not remember if it had that menu or not.

8. Wesley Knapp

So I was wondering what version firmware I was using and started looking thru my PC's folders and I found that I had uploaded Version 2 with the LCD controller active in the files. I do not remember actually selecting which controller and all of that. But anyway, is this Version 2 different than the User Community firmware or is it one in the same. If the User Community firmware is different and has advantages over what I am running on, can someone provide a link to the files and instructions.
    I don't plan on updating at this moment because my prints are darned near perfect. The LCD portion of the firmware I'd like to modify/update though. (So much wasted space with graphics and menu options that are not applicable, etc.)
    Thanks for any help and expertise.

I've been thinking of upgrading printers but Robby is working so well that there really isn't any advantage I can see but for dual extruders, speed or maybe build size. Yes, seriously, it's working that well. Oh crap, better knock on wood.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. Wesley Knapp

Does anyone know of a guide to the menu options for the LCD controller. There's so much stuff in sub menus that I have no idea what they are even for.

And also, another question on the filament change/pause... Are these one in the same? I mean what exactly happens when you select Pause? Still confused about this and what happens when you resume. I'm afraid to put a nozzle thru the bed by testing it out.

Also why are there so many things displayed that have no function?

What is FR? Fan Rate? Why is this there if it already shows the fan with rate?

Is there a way to save to the LCD Controller SD card in the controller, instead of removing it and connecting it to my PC right next to it and connected via USB?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For the full graphic controller there is a filament change option. It is not there for the discount LCD (the four-line one) all that has is the pause. You could customize it do do the filament change instead of the pause (M600 instead of M25)