1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 2.0.x release for Robo R1+

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Bradf80, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

I have gotten the Marlin 2.0.x Bugfix setup and working on my test machine. It has been leveled and printing as we speak. There is a new dual Z alignment feature that I enabled but I don't believe it's setup right yet so it doesn't do anything if you try it. I'll be working on that and will update if I can get that feature working correctly.

Most other features appear to be working the way they are supposed to.

The firmware is setup for the stock R1+ with the standard reprapdiscount lcd enabled. You will have to change the firmware if you have a different LCD. I also widened the temperature check on the thermistor and bed because I was getting a few temp fall false positive errors.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I am not a Marlin programmer, I just edited the parameters for our printers.

I'm still not able to upload files on this forum for some reason so if someone else can upload it for easier download, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Here is a link to a Microsoft OneDrive shared file

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtV8XDDUXJnpjRpaNlvunUS6ugL7

#1 Bradf80, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Made this a sticky

Bradf80 likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Too big of a file to upload as kitted and I hate to trim a lot out just to get it to fit.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Does this work?

There are compilation warnings, PID values are defined twice in Configuration.h, commenting out the Ultimaker settings will get rid of them.

Attached Files:

Bradf80 and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

Funny, I re-ran the verify and it didn't give me an error but it's definitely there lol

Your file won't open for me for some reason, says it's corrupted or damaged.

I'll fix my first post with the correct PID temp.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Try 7-zip or WinRAR. I just downloaded and extracted the file above.

7-Zip is free, https://www.7-zip.org/

Bradf80 likes this.
  7. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

I was using 7-Zip. But my version was from 2014...lol

Just re-downloaded to current version since it doesn't have an update feature and it works fine now.

8. eisman

eisman New Member

Before I go attempt this, is it possible to make this work with the R1 non-plus?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Different Z steps is all. The R1 beta, the R1 and the R1+ all have different Z steps/mm

eisman likes this.
  10. eisman

eisman New Member

So I don't have to worry about the R1 having both Z steppers on one driver where R1+ uses the E1 stepper?

The reason I ask is that I have difficulty homing and get motor buzz on one or both Z steppers.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The R1 and beta used a single stepper driver for both Z motors and the R1+ used two. The RAMPS 1.4 card is DESIGNED to use only one Z stepper driver and this is fine because the acceleration and movement speeds of the Z are tiny.

It should not matter on Z steps because the PINS.H for the ones with the dual stepper drivers will still map to a single Z steps/mm

It matter electrically because if one of the stepper motors or stepper drivers is out of whack then your Z will be in trouble.

eisman likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

there just is no good reason to use two z stepper drivers on a RAMPS board. It really buys you no advantage in the design used by most RepRap style printers (including the Robo)

eisman likes this.
  13. eisman

eisman New Member

Thank You.

It seems that there is nothing wrong with the steppers, nor driver.

I can home and print with 1.1.7 (1.1.1 Mesh)

I cannot home with 2.0.x_Bugfix. The Z motors buzz and sometimes only one turns.

I did change the steps and other lines in Configuration.h

14. eisman

eisman New Member

I have the motors working again. I had to comment out two lines in Configuration_adv.h
    #define Z_STEPPER_AUTO_ALIGN
    #define Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS

mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.
  15. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

That would make sense. Those are the comments I added to get the dual z working on the R1+. The stepper align is experimental and doesn't seem to be working yet, but it is in the menu.

16. Avrution

Avrution Member

Does this bring anything new worth using over something like 1.1.7? I'm going to be starting things over so thought it might be worth going with the newest.

17. Vandel212

Vandel212 New Member

#17 Vandel212, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes. To change to a V6 you need to adjust your thermistor type in the firmware (and your max temp depending on what its set at-if you want to- cant recall for the R1+, been to long since I was stock)

19. Yacobeeb

Yacobeeb New Member

I just got finished typing out this list of my experience using this firmware and I keep getting my post labeled as spam(even with unlinking pictures through google drive. so I guess I am going to have to make a few posts before it will let me.

20. Yacobeeb

Yacobeeb New Member

I certainly hope you are all still alive out here, haha. I have to start out by saying thank you all for supporting the Robo 3d community. If we didn't have nice people like you out there most of the novices like me would totally be lost!
    I have been very frustrated with my Robo 3d r1 plus, this was the only place that gave me any progress for fixing my issue. I just could for the life of me get the printer to recognize any z offsets no matter what I did (MY nozzle would always be jammed into the build plate while printing). I always had to baby-step up the z-axis to get the nozzle at the right height for each print but I just wanted the thing to work as it should. I found this thread after googling a bunch and stumbling across this post by Slider240sx. I was so happy to finally find someone with the same issue as mine. He seemed to fall off the earth after talking for a bit in this thread, hopefully, he was able to resolve his issue and he didn't just give up.

Geof likes this.